Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is the CMBN Demo Fully Patched?

Moon,

Thanks! Wanted to make sure I wasn't experiencing glitches not in the latest version of the game. Any idea why Panthers are firing their cannon on the move? I know the Russians did it for shock value, and that Shermans with working gyrostabilizers could do it on fairly flat ground, but I've never read anything indicating Panthers fired on the move.

Regards,

John Kettler

Moon,

Thanks! Wanted to make sure I wasn't experiencing glitches not in the latest version of the game. Any idea why Panthers are firing their cannon on the move? I know the Russians did it for shock value, and that Shermans with working gyrostabilizers could do it on fairly flat ground, but I've never read anything indicating Panthers fired on the move.

Regards,

John Kettler

Firing on the move is partly abstraction and partly just plain a bad idea, AIUI. The accuracy of firing on the move was drastically reduced in one of the early patches, making it a bad idea, and "firing halts" are abstracted for the sake of sanity, mostly the AI's, if I recall BFC comment on this accurately.

Yes, in a nut shell it is an abstraction. In stead of having tanks moving, stopping then firing and then moving again during a move they simply allow firing on the move with some reduced accuracy. I did a search and could not find the specific post that Steve discusses this directly but there is some discussion around it:

http://ww.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=98346&page=3 see post 25

Be warned not all of that thread is a happy place but there is useful information in there about the game.

ian.leslie,

I read the whole thread, and I found it helpful. I should point out the Panthers were entirely under AI control (wasn't playing head-to-head but vs. computer) and to compound the unreality, had been buttoned by incoming fire. That didn't seem to faze them in the slightest. They came rolling in at impressive speed across the fields (way faster than my Shermans on the road), had no trouble finding targets or engaging them. Very annoying! I really would like to see them use fire from the short halt, rather than the unrealistic, unnerving stuff they're doing now.

womble,

I concur. It is a fundamentally unrealistic, distracting, immersion disrupting behavior, which I think needs to be fixed.

Regards,

John Kettler

womble,

I concur. It is a fundamentally unrealistic, distracting, immersion disrupting behavior, which I think needs to be fixed.

Regards,

John Kettler

The positive aspect is they do recognize the issue and if we take Steve's comment at face value it implies this is something they do intend to work on, but it is not simplistic. If it means working on the TAC AI I suspect it will take a lot of work and even more testing to iron out the behavior to allow the AI to fight a decent battle. It will certainly become a lot more vulnerable to a human player. Honestly I would not expect it to be changed for CMBN, but would be very happy to be wrong.

As AKD states, we are aware that firing on the move is not as inaccurate as it should be. Until we add a couple of Commands to the game and add the necessary TacAI, it is a problem that will remain for a while.

Steve