Virus threat - problems with license

My antivirus notified that me that three CM exe files have been infected with the virus (the main game and NATO and Marines modules). It automatically vaulted them, and then I restored the files from the virus vault to be able to unlicense the game first and then uninstall it.

However, after this I can no longer either start the game or unlicense it. I only managed to unlicense the British forces module (which wasn't infected and wasn't vaulted by the AV program). Any time I try to start the game or try to unlicense it I get the following message:

"Windows cannot access the specified file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the file".

I have no idea what the problem is. I already tried running the files with administrator privileges - that didn't help.

So my problem is the following: I cannot unlicense the main game and the Marines and NATO modules by myself. I already used up both of my licenses - one for my old computer (and like an idiot I forgot to unlicense it after I got a new one - by now this old computer is already partially disassembelled, I doubt I can get it to run again to do the unlicensing). And my second license is now blocked by this weird virus thing.

What do I do?

Is there any way the unlicensing can be done from Battlefront side? I would hate to lose the installation rights now:(

OK, I think I managed to unlicense it!

[i feel a little bit stupid now] :o

It seems my anti virus was blocking the exe CM files that it perceived as a possible threat - so I simply temporarily disabled the anti virus and managed to unlicense the remaining 2 modules and main game.

I will do a new installation now.

Just one thing I want to chjeck before I proceed - how can I be sure that the unlicensing worked? Just to be on the safe side, I started the unlicensing process again - and the whole process was repeated, as if my previous unlicensing didn't work...so what's up with that? how can I verify that the unlicensing worked?

Now spookily enough the same happened to me.Spent the whole afternoon redownloading all the modules from BFC and it was still doing it.Turns out my antivirus was taking the exe from each module and binning it everytime.Ended up disabling the anti-virus and then allowing the game as an exception.

Christo,wish i'd done that in the first place.Instead of hitting the panic button and deleting everything and rebooting,rinse,repeat,rinse repeat.Doh!

Just to add about licensing,i thought it strange that i wasn't asked to unlicence and re-licence.I must have done about 3 reinstalls with patches and wasn't asked once.I think cause of the exe. issue possibilly,the licences were still left on my com.Not that i was bothered.Just glad it was something stupid and not major.Gave my anti-virus a severe bollocking though

:)

Some anti-virus programs are confused by the eLicense protected exe files because of the encryption that they use. If you allow your AV to "guess" and flag "unknown" files (called "heuristic" scanning), then they may trigger a false positive.

Heuristic scanning can be useful, but if you do enable it, then you should consider telling your AV to not automatically remove such files, but instead to prompt you for action. If you know the files are ok, then you can tell it to ignore or set an permanent exception and save yourself some trouble.

I just wish that the documentation coming with many AV programs was better and functions more transparent (or their defaults make more sense).

Martin

OK; i have managed to unlicense the base game and all modules - I uninstalled it just to get rid of any residual problems I may encounter - reinstalled everything - then I instructed the AV to treat the exe files as exceptions to avoid future problems....everything should work now right?

Wrong:(

Apparently, when I try to execute the exe for the British module (to do the licensing thing) I get the following message:

"The program can't start because msvcr71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Strangely, the base game and other modules work. So what the hell is going on here?! :confused:

what on god's green earth is "msvcr71.dll " ?!?! :(

Turn the AV off completely when you reinstall everything.Then before you boot the game up give it instructions to allow the file, CMSF is in, to be an exception.I did 3 reboots and downloads from BFC thinking the files i had in documents were corrupt,they weren't.AV coming it.Turned it off completely until everything was in its proper place.

If you have any mods installed,take the z file and put it somewhere safe and throw it back in once you have everything running.

Also after an uninstall ,have a check to make sure you get rid of every file connected to the game.For a nice fresh install(not the z mod file,keep that).

Worth a try anyway ;)

Turn the AV off completely when you reinstall everything.Then before you boot the game up give it instructions to allow the file, CMSF is in, to be an exception.I did 3 reboots and downloads from BFC thinking the files i had in documents were corrupt,they weren't.AV coming it.Turned it off completely until everything was in its proper place.

If you have any mods installed,take the z file and put it somewhere safe and throw it back in once you have everything running.

Also after an uninstall ,have a check to make sure you get rid of every file connected to the game.For a nice fresh install(not the z mod file,keep that).

Worth a try anyway.Good luck ;)

what on god's green earth is "msvcr71.dll " ?!?! :(

This is a good example of how bad antivirus software can ruin your day. msvcr71.dll is a Windows native library, a copy of which should reside inside your game folder. This library is of course perfectly safe. Check your AV program for quarantined files.

Apparently, when I try to execute the exe for the British module (to do the licensing thing) I get the following message:

"The program can't start because msvcr71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Strangely, the base game and other modules work. So what the hell is going on here?! :confused:

what on god's green earth is "msvcr71h.dll " ?!?! :(

Oh wait, I just noticed that you are saying that you are executin the module exe? You can't do that. Only launch from the main exe. This could explain your error as well.

So, I thought I had this figured out when I restored all my .exe files. Well, now when I start the game ONLY the brit module shows up as installed. I can't relicence as all those files were deleted by my anti virus. What do I do???

I was able to recover the .exe files but that's all that was in the vault. I just played yesterday and all was good. I moved the files back into the correct folders and now I get just the UK module as showing as installed.

Ahh, that did the trick! Thanks a ton Moon!!! I would kiss you but the jar they keep your brain in hasn't been cleaned in a while ;) That and the keep it on the back of the shelf behind Charles and the lack of sunlight doesn't do you any good either :P

All kidding aside, thank you again!