Abbreviations. They can have more than one meaning.

So, I'm belatedly playing "Die Letzte Hoffnung", which is shaping up to be a nice campaign, and I find myself wondering if the "AP" designation of rounds for the enemy's 57mm ATGs and my Panther's 75mm Kanone actually means "Anti-personnel".

In the first scenario, well over half my casualties were caused by the Americans' Ordnance QF knock-offs ( :) ). And that's not counting the ones behind armour in the Panther and Pz4 that got offed. 5 casualties were caused by the groundburst of ricochets. It's a good job there wasn't any HE available to the Amis for their little sniper rifles or things would have gotten messy.

And in the second scenario, a Panther's AP (the kitty is immobilised and if it gets recovered, the ammo bins will be refilled, so I've been letting rip with every available round...) ricocheted off the steeple, and landed in the middle of a field with a few teams in (I've neutralised their indirect fires and the field wasn't overlooked), killing 4... I don't think I've had a Panther HE round kill more than 4 at once; I know the Panther's HE was historically underpowered, but it should be better than the bursting charge in an AP round.

Anyway. AP: it stands for Anti Personnel as well as Armour Piercing...

Reminds me of those 'Final Destination' films where an absurd Rub Goldberg chain of events occur that result in some hapless teenager getting his head chopped off. It's pretty obvious the AP bounced off the church steeple and landed in the field kicking up a long wooden stick, which smacked a nearby soldier, coincidentally pulling out the pin on the hand grenade on his belt, which then blew up and killed the other three standing around. :o:rolleyes:

Reminds me of those 'Final Destination' films where an absurd Rub Goldberg chain of events occur that result in some hapless teenager getting his head chopped off. It's pretty obvious the AP bounced off the church steeple and landed in the field kicking up a long wooden stick, which smacked a nearby soldier, coincidentally pulling out the pin on the hand grenade on his belt, which then blew up and killed the other three standing around. :o:rolleyes:

Heh.

And I forgot about the random "6lber shell snipes one of a team in the upper window of a barn, carries clean through the barn and then treebursts, 50m further on, killing an infantryman yet another 20m from the apparent point of aim" (which was hit with pinpoint precision... Accuracy and randomness from the same shot; is there nothing 57mm can't do?!).

Talk about double meaning. The small commercial building with the painted banner "Brasserie: Biere Anglaise" on the back. I think that phrase has two different translations. 'Biere Anglaise' can either be translated 'English ale' or 'a coffin for Englishmen'. :)