Testing AI plans

I say it as no boast or compliment but im a perfectionist (for my pains!) and seem to spend hours and hours testing the AI routines - tonight for instance ive advanced 13 minutes into testing, come to the conclusion that the infantry support tank needs to move 2 squares further up on AI plan 4 and then promptly restarted the battle to see what the new positioning has done for the tank and its LOS - scratch another 2 hours of testing!!

Dont get me wrong i love it to bits but im wondering how long other scenario builders spend on planning the AI moves and grow concerned that im trying to perfect the AI too much - because i stare in awe at the scenario lists that come with each release and wonder how long that took!

Main top tip - don't try to micro-manage the AI. Best to start with sweeping AI plans i.e. think of the AI groups (allocate em) as discrete units e.g. platoons, companies etc. I suspect you are trying too hard to micromanage what you want the AI in your plan to achieve. Down that road lays madness ;)

Turn-mashing speeds things up.

Use AI Author mode, WEGO, and just press the red button as fast as you can. Look at where the AI ends up at the end of each turn, without worrying too much over exactly how they got to be there.

Just leave the opposite side completely passive, or even move them back and out of the way. Don’t ‘play’ the game, just watch what the AI side is doing. It is reasonable to assume they will fight competently as long as you can get them to move to reasonable positions in a reasonably coordinated fashion, so it’s just that movement and coordination that you need to test and refine.

And George’s point - with the AI, often less is more.

Another thing that will save you time is to use the 3D setup to test certain spots on the board where you want units to move in your AI plans. This will help make sure that those spots have the field of vision that is required. You could even mark the spots with a flavor object and remove it later.

thanks all, and youre right - its the damn game's fault!! - i get that engrossed in my little war movie ive just made i end up watching turns over and over again from different angles - use of the red button to zoom to the next phase will definitely be used from now on, that and enemy withdrawal to the back of the map - thanks for all advice

It's certainly requiring long hours of testing and toiling!

One more thing is to check you have blanked all previous AI plans you did set up, when using the same map and starting a new battle loading it from an old scenario: I was wondering if the AI suddenly found a deep hidden routine to baffle all my careful timings and plans and started to move of its own accord! when I realized there was a previous set up small spot for a group that was way out of the current positions, and many orders to move from there...

It would be really super if someone may come up with a tool/utility to have an overview for all the AI orders/groups, making them instantly accessible and visualized, without having to use the popup menus: imo it would be more clear and evident to have a 'table of contents' fully displayed for the AI orders/plans/groups; did I mention I would need at least four more Groups? ;)

I was reflecting on the idea above, of having a panel open up instead of the popup menu for the AI, and I borrowed the idea from Photoshop Layers: I don't know if this is feasible at all, but would be great to have the possibility to visualize the whole (or any chosen) AI Plans and Orders simultaneously on the map, or rather a quick depiction of it, eventually selecting directly one order by clicking on it; the time code should also be readable for each order, with the possibility of typing directly the values...

Am I dreaming!? :P

post-14606-14186762369_thumb.jpg

ok................. i have three Allied AI plans so far and am working up the Axis ones - with the 3 plans, to make sure the plan selection is random do i set them all to 'use sometimes', or all to 'use frequently'? or indeed anything else!

Setting them all to "used sometimes" should work.