Uncommon Valor :: ATG Gun Action

Playing Devils Descent, fourth scenario.

I place one 57mm ATG behind some sandbags. As the German attack escalates, four of the team members are KIA by infantry fire. The last member of the team, a -2 private by the name of Zimmer, (327 Glider Infantry) does not abandon the gun.

I write the gun off as a loss.

About 12 minutes later, a Marder III comes into the gun's LOS. Zimmer decides he's tired of being a -2 Rattled Private, opens fire and KIA's the Marder.

Best ATG action I've seen. Love this game.

Zimmer survived the war and returned to Fresno, CA where he became a car salesman.

zimmer.png

Not so much valour as outrageous luck, what I just had happen to me... At short range, a 57mm just first-hit a Panther in the lower hull, penetrated and killed the radio op. In spite of incoming small arms fire from the ATG crew, three more hits on the glacis and turret, the commander of the PV didn't button, and on the 6th hit decides to order "abandon tank". The 7th hit ricochets over the tank, exploding on soft ground 30m from some infantry, killing one and wounding another. The 9th hit (I think I may have parked the kitty on a TRP) ricochets almost straight up, and comes down 16m away in the middle of a team of Pioneers, killing 2, WIAing another and scratching a 4th (of 6). The following 3 minutes have seen a further 27 hits on the Panther, none of penetrating character. The Veteran crew with a +1 commander have Paniced.

This gun has already shot up a Puma (no surprise really, with the AC immobilised by mines), and had a miss (while shooting at the Puma) overshoot and kill a kubel, its driver and one of the passengers... The Puma's crew is down at 50% (from the mines) but rallied from Paniced after only 1 minute, and are now at Cautious, and manning the guns of a pioneer halfie...

That 57mm should get MID, for sure.