AI vs AI?

I've wanted a slightly different AI vs AI option since CMSF days... I wanted to be able to build a scenario where a player was commanding a subunit that was part of a larger action. So some (or maybe all, if you wanted to make a 3D "war movie" for people to watch instead of play) of the guys on your side would be PC commanded -- hopefully the briefing would give you some indication of what each formation would be trying to do and when.

I still long for CoPlay (multiple players per side), and maybe this functionality could be added together with that; they seem complementary.

a player was commanding a subunit that was part of a larger action. ...CoPlay (multiple players per side), and maybe this functionality could be added together with that; they seem complementary.

Nerds can dream, can't we? I approve of this idea. There's a great little strategy game called Firefight where you're actually one of the units in the game. It plays like Close Combat but with a unit that you absolutely cannot lose and you must keep in contact with other units.

*Love* Firefight. Brilliant game. I've been playing it for years. Sean's great about supporting his games, too.

I do think the "commander as unit" mechanic is extremely penalizing campaign-wise.

That would be cool to have AI units in the field, and your force is just a small part of a big battle, especially in CMSF. Would allow for a bit more "story" type stuff. You could make a mission where you only controlled the FO units, and had to call in support while the AI attacked or defended. Or one where the AI has a town encircled and you go in with a couple platoons to check things out. I guess some could see that as a step back from controlling everything at once, but IMO in it would be a nice change of pace to have stuff like that. Fun stuff to think about anyway.