Mortor tactics

NIX

I have been playing the demos for about 1 month now, but I still have a hard time using mortors effectively. In all of the scenarios I'm most successful in Last Defence as the Americans. I usually manage to take out a couple of the halftracks, but that is it. Should I directly target infantry, or simply target areas I believe have enemy troops there? I also have a hard time getting line of sight, there always seem to be trees, buildings, or something else in the way. Then when I move them they usally get fired upon causing them to take cover. If anyone has any suggestions for me I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't waste my time on halftracks unless you ahve plenty of ammo. (You will almost always wish you had those few rounds near the end of the game whe they will count the most.) Yous hould be concentrating on infnatry, and mortar fire is a great suppressor to use while covering the movement of other troops. Also make sure you closely monitor ammo consumption. Effective barrage can usually be shorter rather than longer.

Los

Personally i dissagree, i think taking out the halftracks are crucial for supression. You can effectively turn away the german infantry attacks with combination of MG's and your infantry squads, but if those halftracks are there they are like moving suppression for your troops. On a good game i can get 3 sometimes 4 with my mortars, on a bad one 1 or 2.

Haven't been able to use them too effectively against the enemy infantry, though i have used them for smoke.

The US Mortar teams in Last Defense are fairly easy to manage as they have great line of sight being up on the hill AND the enemy vehicles are fairly channeled; forced to move around the central woods.

I find that targeting individual units doesn't work that well. I prefer to wait until a platoon of infantry has parked itself in some scattered trees, then I rain it down on them with Area Fire. If I target a specific unit and it moves out of the treeline, I miss the treebursts on the rest of his stationary platoon and attached MG, HQ, and AT team.

citizen

I didn't necessarily target the halftracks with the intent on destroying them. I pretty much lucked into hitting one and then kept on trying. But I did learn, the hard way, that if you don't cancel their target they will continue bombing the same location. When using them for suppression fire should I target troops I can see, or an area? I also hope that in the final version the elevation is easier to determine. Thanks for the input!

Certainly if targetting a half track supports some sort of immediate goal of yours like in stopping an assult in which halftracks take part then that's one thing, but just plinking halftracks because you feel that you have to do something with your mortars is another thing. BTW half tracks and all open-topped vehicles are killed way too easily in CM. Dropping a round in the back of a HT is a very very rare event. In CM it's pretty much a sure bet. Now if VT was modelled....

Los

Los