Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AI Questions for Scenario Design..

Okay, Ive been trying for months to get a sense of what the AI's movements will be for certain commands. Its a bit frustrating. The manual paints it in broad strokes, but a bit more precision would be nice. Also, if anyone has done a guide for designing scenarios with the AI (even a CMSF one), please post the link.

My first question is this: I tried to have a whole armored company move (really for testing purposes) by "advance command" about 100 meters. The tanks then move FAST, and do wild, criss-crossing patterns, exposing their flanks to the enemy to their front (in effect, they turn sideways, and move "diagonally" towards their objective -- not straight). I tried it with the "Max Assault Command", and they did the same thing (although annoyingly bunched up), using the "Quick" Command.

Does anyone know: (1) whether the AI can handle company level movements, and if so, how so; (2) same question as to platoon level movements; and (3) what the precise affect of the individual AI Commands are? For example, when a designer uses the term "Advance", does that mean units will move "quick", move "fast", or "move fast to contact", or what?

Is there anyone has done a thorough or at least helpful analysis on this? Sure would be nice. I'm having to quit in frustration at times. Its maddening. And I have about six or seven scenarios "in the can" I want to finalize.

Any help on understanding what these AI Commands do would be appreciated. Thanks, Grogs.

F

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1194

Best advice with creating AI Plans is start small scale and don't try to micro manage - let the tactical AI do it’s thing.

For your first attempt co-ordinating an AI attack is daunting. I'd go for AI defence with a small number of AI units moving/counterattacking.

Whatever I am doing first step is create AI Groups for one side and give each group pretty sweeping plans e.g. AI Group 3 might only have three points to go for with large time between etc. Think really, really simple here.

The I play the scenario from against the AI. This way I get an idea of the tactical options on the map and how best to use the terrain.

Then I go back in and flesh out my AI Plan making better use of terrain features, tactical options etc and responding to the possible tactical options a human player may use. This may take several takes. Once you get into the swing of it it's quick to do. It also helps for your first AI Plan to note timings and 'behaviours'.

Re 'behaviours' yeah the lack of difference between the behaviours thraps my wapple... I tend to use two main behaviours for the AI - advance for general movement and a more aggressive attack. Assault for a slower tactical bound all guns blazing option.

The only place micro managing may work is in complex terrain where you use the AI painted areas like a breadcrumb trail but as soon as you hit more open or less constricted terrain go back to thinking BIG.

That’s a quick and dirty intro. Mind it’s more of an art than science and the pitfall in designing AI Plans is attempting to micro manage. It won’t work so think big and sweeping.

Hope this helps. Must admit the more I design AI Plans the more I learn about doing em. But keep it simple. Don't try co-ordinating platoons etc leap frogging each other to tight timescales down that road lays madness ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheery!

George

Fanko,

The problem you're having is that an entire company takes up quite a bit of space. Any move order in the AI plan will also need a fairly large space to accommodate a company's worth of vehicles. The movement order is random to anywhere within the order area; for example if 1st platoon is on the left flank to start, the AI movement may order any of those tanks ANYWHERE within painted movement order in the AI plan. Therefore a tank on the left flank may be ordered to the right flank.

To avoid this, you'll have to break up the platoons into groups. This way you can keep 1st platoon on the left flank, second in the middle, and third platoon on the right.