Large Tank Battles?

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to build/play a scenario with a whole tank company rolling over hill and dale to do battle with another tank company. Imagine the cacaphony as the roar of cannon fuses into continuous thunder and dozens of shots simultaneously arc over battlefields measured in square kilometers. Dare I say it...a whole mechanized battalion? Will this be possible? More to the point, if you put 40+ vehicles on the field what kind of computer would be needed to run it satisfactorily?

-Ren

At the moment I'm "testing" a scenario I made which is totally ahistorical, unrealistic and should destroy my reputation for being a stickler for realism but its just so much damn fun wink.gif.

There are umm 50 tanks on the map and so far I've lost 15 and my German opponent has lost 14. It's getting pretty nerve-wracking too wink.gif.

It's a very small map and is a "tutorial" scenario designed to make a point hence its being completel unrealistic wink.gif.

It is however a good PBEM one as Bil and I are finding out and the AI can hand you your head on a plate in it too wink.gif

Oh and I got to kill a King Tiger with a Sherman 75 firing at a range of 30 metres into its side turret YES ! wink.gif They said it couldn't be done but those guys just earned themselves the CMOH..

Seriously though I think you could have a tank company vs tank company battle on a large map and still keep a good nice framerate. You just gave me an idea.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

While CM certainly wasn't designed for this (Charles freaked the first time I had 20+ vehicles on one side for Fionn's force in the AAR battle smile.gif) it turns out that CM can handle this very well. Framerate is an issue for the low end machines, and turn crunching can be pretty slow as well. Vehicles, and direct fire weapons, take up far more calculations than infantry do. So the more vehicles, and the more they are shooting at each other, the more important CPU number crunching is.

Steve

"Oh and I got to kill a King Tiger with a Sherman 75 firing at a range of 30 metres into its side turret YES ! They said it couldn't be done but those guys just earned themselves the CMOH"

Fionn .. not to mention a good hot bath to clean themselves up after the nerve wracking time it took to get them there.. Hahaha

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Oh and I got to kill a King Tiger with a Sherman 75 firing at a range of 30 metres into its side turret YES ! They said it couldn't be done but those guys just earned themselves the CMOH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the next turn this same damned Sherman crew knocks out my prize Panther crew that had 3 kills > frown.gif Lucky bastards...

[This message has been edited by Bil Hardenberger (edited 11-20-99).]

Guest Captain Foobar

What I would like to see is a historically accurate scenario depicting German Quality Armor vs. American Quantity Armor. I want to see what the average panzer crew was up against on the Western Front.

Guest Charles

Dag-nab it, wrong theatre of operations!

Maybe I should go for the Kasserine Pass? I know, I know, its still not the right theatre, but at least the opponents are correct. smile.gif

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 11-21-99).]

LOL Bil.

Wrong ! THAT SHerman didn't kill your Panther. Another one did but I'm not telling you which building it was hiding behind wink.gif

Would people like to see a whole host of comparative scenarios.. Same tank-friendly map BUT lots of variations of the forces available?

That way you could try out M10s vs Tigers, 75s vs Panthers etc etc? Also could try out all the Brit armour too wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Nah, Fionn, we don't want to play lots of scenarios featuring all the cool tanks from WW2's European theater. NOBODY here has been literally dreaming of building one map and then creating 6 or 7 different unit sets for both Allies and Axis and then seeing how tactics differ as vehicles differ. At least *I* haven't! ;)

DjB

Guest Captain Foobar

Fionn,

I like that idea alot! I think that very concept is why people want to see a "random" force generator for use on any map. But I don't remember what the BTS response to that idea was.....

Guest MantaRay

The Kursk of Normandy...Hmm, sounds like that one is for me. smile.gif

And I know you just gave us a new scenario to play, but you could also give us your scenario too Fionn. That would make my Turkey even better, and you guys would get a very nice Thanks-For-Giving reply from all of us. smile.gifsmile.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

Ray

I'm having trouble just imagining what it would be like to issue 25 Hunt orders, and watch a turn unfold. Thank god there isn't a VCR tape that has to rewind and wear out.

A guy could grow old watching that kind of action from all the possible angles.

Completely ahistorical, but imagine a big flat map, with a similar big round hill in the middle. Forces start on either side of the hill, out of LOS of each other. Then just go. Hmmm... What to do? What to do?

Hehe

Nah, that scenario will be a tutorial/ just plain old fun scenario.

I just had a Sherman Jumbo 75 and an M10 kill TWO King Tigers and another M10 kill a JagdTiger (before it got nailed by another jagdtiger)..

The range of the M10 which killed the jagdtiger was 6 metres wink.gif.. I actually had 1 M10 killed by a nahverteidigungswaffe (oops) wink.gif

It VERY strongly makes the point of what happens to armour in a specific situation though.

------------------

Fionn Kelly