Fire through crop fields and/or smoke

Pak40: I am not talking about having LOS to the other side of a hedge. I am talking about simple LOS through a field etc. Mortars can see much further than regular inf units despite not being all 7+ feet tall (presumably).

My question is if this is reciprocal - can the mortars therefore be seen much more easily (from further away) than inf?

Pak40: I am not talking about having LOS to the other side of a hedge. I am talking about simple LOS through a field etc. Mortars can see much further than regular inf units despite not being all 7+ feet tall (presumably).

My question is if this is reciprocal - can the mortars therefore be seen much more easily (from further away) than inf?

I understand the question. I was trying to reiterate that it is ONLY mortars and FOs that have this special spotting(targeting) ability, so how can the reciprocal is true to normal enemy units? If it's an enemy FO or mortar, yes, it will be able to target the area where your mortar is. If it's any other unit then no, it should not be able to.

It's not even a 'special spotting ability'. They have the ability to target indirect fire beyond LOS limits (although only slightly), but they can't see anything there. For example, they can target indirect fire on the other side of a high wall, but like any other they can't see any enemy units that might be lurking there.

It's not even a 'special spotting ability'. They have the ability to target indirect fire beyond LOS limits (although only slightly), but they can't see anything there. For example, they can target indirect fire on the other side of a high wall, but like any other they can't see any enemy units that might be lurking there.

Correct, it's just for indirect area fire. For FOs, this special ability is only available when calling an artillery mission and not when using the Target command for direct rifle fire.

Yup, it seems to be so... I ran mortars and inf out in a field at various ranges to where I knew they would be in direct LOS of enemy tanks (assuming they could see each other).

The mortars could fire where the tanks were even tho they couldn't see em, and no return fire.

It's a neat magic trick, since there was also no C2 to anyone who could actually see the tank. C2: Hours of confused irritated fun! :)