PBEM help!

Hi!

Just received a file from a CM friend. We're goin to try playing PBEM, but when I downloaded his file into "Incoming Email" and I start the game, I can't see his file that he sent. Can anyone explain how I get a PBEM game started and where I download the initial file? Thanks!

Rich

Hi!

Just received a file from a CM friend. We're goin to try playing PBEM, but when I downloaded his file into "Incoming Email" and I start the game, I can't see his file that he sent. Can anyone explain how I get a PBEM game started and where I download the initial file? Thanks!

Rich

Yeah, it might be a good idea to make sure that your friend started the game as a PBEM game rather than as a regular game. Your friend must select PBEM game in order to play it PBEM. It can also be a bit confusing the first time because when you start a PBEM game the first turn can either be a 'blank' or ask for just a password and nothing else. If your friend started a PBEM game the correct way but got confused by the lack of anything to do then he may have started a normal game and sent you a normal save file instead.

Tech support may be a better location for this...

Having said that, try to play a PBEM against yourself. Open it, set your password, then copy the outbound pbem file into your inbound folder. Open it, set the "enemy" password, and continue in a like manner.

That should at least suss out whether or not you've got your folders in the right locations, and whether or not it's an incompatibility between your two computers. (Is one a PC, one a Mac?)

Good luck.

Ken

We both are at version 1.10. I downloaded a file with the extension .ema into the Incoming E-mail folder; no dice. Tried to place this file into all the folders but can't find it anywhere.

If you are using Windows Vista then it can be difficult to find the file because there is a set of hidden folders that it might get downloaded into. The game is located in both the regular Program Files and also in the ... like shadow file system. I forget the path or file names at the moment, but it was frustrating as heck when I had a Vista machine (I have since moved to Windows 7 which is much better than Vista's horribly confusing file scheme).