No FOW trenches in 1.10?

Thought I would just bump this to say I got the same situation in the nect C&F mission - Bolleville. Low visibility conditions and as soon as I hit the red button, enemy foxholes, wire and sandbagged gun positions are revealed and stay revealed throughout the game.

Has anyone using XP 32 bit NOT got this?

I've run the tests on 32 bit xp - Iron Man 1 Player wego 1.10 with CW module.

Only had time to run each test once but I saw the following

novis and lowvis - I saw all the fortifications in the first minute and a half

goodvis - I let the test run for 20 minutes without seeing anything. I then "Quicked" the FO team up the map. The saw the sandbags at about 400m but didn't really see the trenches and foxholes until they were almost on top of them. Some of the foxholes still weren't visible at the end of the 30 minutes even though the FO team was sitting at the foxhole end of the map.

I can run the tests again tomorrow if necessary.

Doomed

I've run the tests on 32 bit xp - Iron Man 1 Player wego 1.10 with CW module. Only had time to run each test once but I saw the following novis and lowvis - I saw all the fortifications in the first minute and a half

goodvis - I let the test run for 20 minutes without seeing anything.

I can confirm this. (WinXP, 32bit). V1.10 giveth and v1.10 taketh away. I wonder why something like this would seemingly be OS related?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to Carl Render for revealing what could be a problem and AKD for the file test.

Testing :

The FO gets the Fast order with a straight line drawn all the way down toward the fortifications

Its move forward is seen from the fortifications side

The distances are the ones shown on the fire blue line. They go from the FO team to the fortification being seen.

Low visibility

Setup phase no fortifications viewed

At 390m Sandbags 2 positions seen on the right

Then within 5 to 10 seconds a Foxhole in the middle of the left side

At 140m a trench is seen straight forward

Then within 5 to 10 seconds a second one appears on its right

At 80m up to the 40m mark. It remains as follow:

3 sandbags positions on the right, 2 trenches on the center, 2 foxholes on the middle left

High Visibility

Setup phase no fortifications viewed

At 517m Sandbags 1 position seen on the right

At 439m Sandbags a second position revealed on the right

At 402m Sandbags a third position revealed on the right

At 334m Sandbags a fourth position revealed on the right

At 263m a trench is seen dead center

At 254m Trench a second one is seen on the right side of the center one

At about that time a fifth sandbags position is revealed

At 218m Trench a third one is seen on the left side of the center one

Still no foxholes seen

They are finally seen (4 positions on the left) when the tired FO team is halted at the trenches.

The FO team saw them earlier at the 80m to 40m ranges. Is that inability to see them earlier has something to do with their tired state ?

Anyway foxholes are more difficult to see than sandbags piled up and trenches should be less noticeable than them unless sandbags are used to make a strong parapet.

Hope that testing might help you

Just took the time to run akd's test scenarios as well, and I got different results from anyone else so far...definitely something funky going on here.

My specs in brief:

Intel Quad-core Q6600

4GB RAM

Win 7 64-bit (!)

NVidia GeForce 8800GTS with newest drivers

CMBN 1.10 with CW module

First off, I think testing this issue in scenario author test (SAT) mode is useless, at least it was for me. In SAT, all units and fortifications are always visible to the human player, and the only way (for me) to tell what any of my units can truly see is to click on them and see which enemy icons light up. Since fortifications do not ever show icons after the setup phase, I cannot tell whether my FO can actually see the fortifications, or when he spots them. Visual information on them available to me as the player is always the same.

Now for my results (all tested at elite level with one exception, see below):

Testing in RT:

Regardless of difficulty level, no fortifications were ever spotted in any visibility conditions. That was easy.

Testing in TB:

Here's where things start getting strange. In the high vis setting, nothing was ever spotted. However...

Low and zero visibility settings gave identical results, and a quick test at basic training difficulty for both of these conditions came out the same. In all cases my FO began spotting the trenches after 1-1.5 minutes. He spotted them one by one at intervals of 5-10 seconds. At no later than 2 minutes, they were all spotted. Then he started spotting the foxholes - always in the exact same order: he would spot the closest foxhole to his position (the forward left individual hole in the leftmost set of four holes, seen from his position), then spot the rest of the holes in that set in a counterclockwise fashion (right forward, right rear, left forward) at intervals of 5-10 secs. This went on for each set of holes from left to right, always in the exact same fashion. All holes were spotted between 4.5 and 5 minutes in. After the holes came the sandbags. In each case, the spotter would spot the rear half of one sandbag wall first, then the front half, then the next rear half, etc. Unlike the spotting order of the foxholes, the order in which he spotted the sandbag walls seemed random, but it was always the rear half first, then the front. Again, intervals between each spotted part of a wall were about 5-10 secs. After 5.5-6 minutes (and no later), all fortifications were spotted, always.

I forewent the screenies, but I think you get the drift. Spotting was not immediate for me, but followed an unchanging, almost mechanical rhythm that changed only marginally through several runs of the test.

So very weird...