No FOW trenches in 1.10?

Playing Veteran Level. Went back to the save coming out of the first scenario, made no changes in setup, hit the red go button and the enemy foxholes and trenches immediately pop into view.

Checked Buying the Farm which also has trenches and it doesn't happen with that scenario.

This is odd. Not sure what is going on here.

I have just re-installed 1.01 and can confirm that the trenches stay hidden in that version. However, in 1.10 they all become visible as soon as you hit the red go button (playing real-time). This seems to be something (a bug?) introduced in 1.10. Hopefully it only applies to this one campaign/scenario.

I'm working on something with massive amounts of trenches for the AI controlled side and all the fortifications are hidden at the start of the scenario, including wire and bunkers. Are you playing an 'extracted' version of this mission, as in extracted from the campaign so that the mission can be played in single-play?

No, playing the normal C&F campaign.

Have tested again as follows:

Clean install v1.01, no mods, Veteran, real time

against

Clean install v1.10, no mods, Veteran, real time

Start campaign, hit cease fire on first mission to get major defeat. That takes you to second mission, School of Hard Knocks. Leave set up as per scenario design and hit red button.

In 1.01 you cannot see any enemy fortifications.

In 1.10 the trenches and foxholes become immediately visible.

PT, you are a beta tester? This is very easy to test and only takes a couple of minutes -just cease fire in the first mission to get straight through to School of Hard Knocks.

You have to move the camera to near where the foxholes are to see them. The trenches can be seen quite easily from the US side of the map.

BTW, if I save this mission in the set-up stage and try to load from that, I get a CTD. Not sure if that is relevant to the visible foxholes issue.

Start campaign, hit cease fire on first mission to get major defeat. That takes you to second mission, School of Hard Knocks. Leave set up as per scenario design and hit red button.

Well I've just done that, and I don't see any trenches or foxholes.

I've tested on Elite, WEGO and Veteran, RT

P

Here is a video of what I get.

This is version 1.10, School of Hard Knocks which is the second mission in the C&F Campaign.

Played Real Time, Veteran.

As you can see, as soon as I hit the red button, the foxholes and trenches appear, which is not right, but I don't know what causes it - maybe a bug?

This does not happen in Version 1.01

I am seeing the same thing as you carl, in this mission and the following mission, but other testers are not seeing this, which is very strange. Have you encountered this in any other scenarios/campaigns? Is anyone else seeing this in Courage and Fortitude?

Well I'm kind of glad someone else has it! You start to wonder if it is just you after a while.

I've only tested further in a couple of scenarios where I know there to be trenches or foxholes - Bois de Baugin and Buying the Farm and it does not happen in these.

Could it be some sort of bug to do with the graphics card and scenarios with lots of field works?

I'm using an nvidia gts250

Here is the setup of the test scenario revealed through scenario author test mode. A regular/normal US FO team is positioned at one end of a flat 1000m map covered entirely in "grass" tiles. At the opposite end of the map is a line of enemy foxholes, trenches and sandbag walls.

fortification_FOW_test_setup.jpg

I used this setup to run three tests. In each test, no enemy fortifications were visible during setup phase. All three were run turn-based, iron mode.

First test was run during day time and "clear" conditions at 9:00 a.m. on June 6. After 30 minutes, not a single one of the enemy fortifications has been revealed, although the FO team has clear LOS to the far end of the map.

fortification_FOW_test_day.jpg

Next test had the conditions changed to "overcast" and time set to 2:00 a.m. on June 6. FO can still trace blue LOS to the opposite end of the map. At 11 seconds into the turn 1 replay, every single enemy fortification was instantly revealed.

fortification_FOW_test_night.jpg

Final test was also run at 2:00 a.m. but had the conditions changed to "light fog and rain" and the date changed to June 15. Under these conditions, the FO team cannot trace LOS further than 10m from their position. Conditions are essentially "zero visibility". At 29 seconds into the turn 1 replay, every single enemy fortification was instantly revealed.

fortification_FOW_test_novis.jpg

The three test scenarios are in this .zip. Please try them as above and let me know if you are seeing the same behavior.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36437512/fortification_FOW_tests.zip

I am getting almost the same. Turn-based Iron, for clear conditions fortifications stay invisible (tested for 15mins). Low Visibility and No Visibility all fortifications pop into view some time during the first half of the second turn.

Initial testing with RT suggests fortificastions remain invisiible - odd, since I was playing School of Hard Knocks in RT. Will test RT further tomorrow.

I agree with you that this is in part at least related to conditions. Thank you for devising the tests.

I just ran all 3 tests. Turn based/Iron. The fortifications never appear for me. I ran all 3 tests for the full 30 minutes. I also tried it in RT mode for a few minutes but saw no difference.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.

System Model: G60J

BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/15/09 18:50:05 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs),

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_20331043&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2792 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB

Shared Memory: 1786 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: AUO15ED

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.008Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.7061 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.7061