Churchill Gun?

What gun is on the Churchill? I thought it was the same low velocity 75mm as the Sherman.

So far in the battle I've been involved in the Churchill is making mincemeat out of Panzer 4s.

Yep. the Churchill can be a shock as I've found in a couple of board games. I had to do some reality checking since it was such a killer at 400-700 meters against PZIVs.

Alas, I don't have CMBN:CWF yet.

The Allies came away from North Africa with the lesson learned that a medium velocity gun with a good HE shell was the way forward, so a lot of tanks were given the 75mm gun in its various guises.

Normandy taught 21st AG a whole new set of lessons and the 6lbers came back into fashion quite quickly.

From my reading Britain switched all their Churchills bound for Normandy to 75mm then hastily switched back a number of them to 6 pdr again. Someone referred to the 6 pdr with special ammo as the 'poor man's 17 pdr'. The first time I became aware of 6 pdr armed Churchills in NW Europe was a photo of a line of Churchills in Germany in 1945. So they definitely served throughout the war.

I'm actually surprised the Churchills have a 57mm L/43. Is that a typo? From my understanding all tank mounted 57mm guns were L/50's. The 57mm L/43s were early production Anti-tank guns for use in North Africa until the L/50s could be mounted properly, but the tank mounts were always L/50s.

I'm actually surprised the Churchills have a 57mm L/43. Is that a typo? From my understanding all tank mounted 57mm guns were L/50's. The 57mm L/43s were early production Anti-tank guns for use in North Africa until the L/50s could be mounted properly, but the tank mounts were always L/50s.

Could be a bug. Do you have documentation?

From my reading Britain switched all their Churchills bound for Normandy to 75mm then hastily switched back a number of them to 6 pdr again. Someone referred to the 6 pdr with special ammo as the 'poor man's 17 pdr'. The first time I became aware of 6 pdr armed Churchills in NW Europe was a photo of a line of Churchills in Germany in 1945. So they definitely served throughout the war.

I've read that they refitted many with the 75mm but the infantry kept the 57mm equipt ones...very odd thinking.

Could be a bug. Do you have documentation?

Not on hand sadly.

Looking a little deeper I may be mistaken on this. Churchills were armed with either the Mark III or Mark V variant of the 57mm, which was L/43 and L/50 respectively (didn't realize a L/43 variant for tanks was produced). I would assume that they would have Mark V guns though by Normandy as the extra barrel length improved performance but to be honest I really don't know. I do know Churchills saw service with both guns.