Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Are you kidding me???

Had a cromwell round the corner of a building and draw a line of an AT gun 30 metres away, the turret swivelled to bring them into it's sights and then the turn ended (on wego).

Now, as the tank was on a slow move order and I was in no rush I decided to have them stop and as they were already about to shoot there was no point telling them to target the gun, so what happens at the start of the next round??? They revolve the turret to its straight ahead facing and proceed to do jacksh!t, all the while still having eyeballs on the AT gun as the commander had his head out of the turret and there were no other enemies in view.

What happens next I hear you ask??? Well, not only do the AT crew have time to swivel the gun to bring the cronwell into their sights, but one of them has also got the time to knock off the tank commander with a rifle shot just before the gun itself blows the tank away.

I know us Brits were war weary by '44, but not that tired we'd not bother to kill an enemy we were already looking at and about to fire on just because the tank stops.

I love this game, but having something stupid like this really annoys me, why on earth would they not fire???

CTID98

I love this game, but having something stupid like this really annoys me, why on earth would they not fire???

CTID98

Because the tank crew didn't spot the gun? Just because you, the player, can see it, doesn't meant that your tank can. The gun may be in a blind spot (not unlikely, that close to it, if it's buttoned up especially). You, the player, are shown the collective info from all your units with no unit selected, and the specific info from the unit selected (if you have one selected); at least with the higher difficulty settings where relative spotting is in fact in effect.

But Moon, he said that the turret had turned to face the gun so somebody in there saw something.

Not necessarily. The turret has optics used for spotting stuff at a distance, not 30 meters away. CMBN simulates field of view and magnification, and it is entirely possible to miss something 30 m away. Take a pair of zoom binoculars and try it out for yourself ;)

Had a cromwell round the corner of a building and draw a line of an AT gun 30 metres away, the turret swivelled to bring them into it's sights and then the turn ended (on wego).

Now, as the tank was on a slow move order and I was in no rush I decided to have them stop and as they were already about to shoot there was no point telling them to target the gun, so what happens at the start of the next round??? They revolve the turret to its straight ahead facing and proceed to do jacksh!t, all the while still having eyeballs on the AT gun as the commander had his head out of the turret and there were no other enemies in view.

What happens next I hear you ask??? Well, not only do the AT crew have time to swivel the gun to bring the cronwell into their sights, but one of them has also got the time to knock off the tank commander with a rifle shot just before the gun itself blows the tank away.

I know us Brits were war weary by '44, but not that tired we'd not bother to kill an enemy we were already looking at and about to fire on just because the tank stops.

CTID98

It might seem strange but things like that happen in war......just read this account from a tankers memoirs:

"Now, as the tank was on a slow move order and I was in no rush I decided to stop, then I revolved the turret to its straight ahead facing and proceeded to do jacksh!t, all the while still having eyeballs on the AT gun,

what happened next I hear you ask? well not only did the AT crew have time to swivel the gun to bring my tank into their sights, but one of them also had the time to kill me with a rifle shot just before the gun itself blew up the tank"

Yeah. thats one of the things I like about the game is that if you click on one of your units, the game only shows you specifically what that unit sees.. seems to me someone in the tank saw this gun so I would assume whoever it was, the tank commander, gunner, whoever, would have been screaming to the other crew members 'hey, we got an AT gun right over there!' and maybe automatically should have been targeting it

that being said, as a player myself, I always manually make sure that a particular unit is targeting who I want it to because I don't trust the AI to make the best decisions for me most of the time

Not necessarily. The turret has optics used for spotting stuff at a distance, not 30 meters away. CMBN simulates field of view and magnification, and it is entirely possible to miss something 30 m away. Take a pair of zoom binoculars and try it out for yourself ;)

I concur ...

Tanks aren't built to fight in close quarters ...

In a hatches closed M4, you can't see much of anything within that range, through the driver's, co-driver's periscopes etc, or the CC's cupola glass. It is better directly to the front, but almost useless out to the sides.

It's an awful feeling to try to maneuver closed down on tight ground, when your peripheral and short range vision is so hampered.

Regards,

Doug

I concur ...

Tanks aren't built to fight in close quarters ...

In a hatches closed M4, you can't see much of anything within that range, through the driver's, co-driver's periscopes etc, or the CC's cupola glass. It is better directly to the front, but almost useless out to the sides.

It's an awful feeling to try to maneuver closed down on tight ground, when your peripheral and short range vision is so hampered.

Regards,

Doug

Yup! When I wrote "Take a pair of zoom binos and try for yourself" I meant:

"... unless you have an M4 standing around in your backyard :D)

Martin