Checkout these screenshots for Iron Front

noob

ARMA2 gives me the same satisfaction as the CM games, I dont know what it is, but it just feels right. I will be certainly getting this Iron Front. I would also advise people to check out the recently updated I44 mod :)

+1 to that! Arma2 and those mods are brilliant -- it's just the social dimension that can prevent the games from being all they can be. Because it's a FPS that are best played live online with lots of other people, you get all the joys and sorrows of human online society. Basically you either put up with looking for pickup games on the public servers, or join a "clan" of one sort or another.

The public servers will quickly bore anyone who likes realistic play, cooperation or tactics (lots of kids, drunks, lone-wolf Rambos just running and gunning. Spawn, shoot, die, rinse & repeat).

The other alternative is seeking an organized "clan" of one sort or another that commits to a certain standard of play and screens its members. But to really be part of it -- if you're admitted -- you often have to commit to an ambitious schedule of basic training, drills, and other group activities that range between annoyingly time-consuming to creepily cult-like.

To be fair, I'm sure there's no better experience in wargaming than to be in one of those highly organized clan battles, fighting a force of tactically adept human opponents in a fantastically detailed and vivid 3D world. But I just never found a satisfying niche there, so for my money I'm happier with the readily accessible thrills of CMBN.

wow, that looks amazing! did you see the video? http://ironfront.deepsilver.com/en/

I've seen the video before, i've been waiting for years for this, it started out as an amateur modding effort for OFP, then it was adapted for ARMA, and then BIA got involved, and now its turned into a professional product, thanks to the ARMA engine and the awesome models and textures of the modders it looks like we are going to get a photo realistic FPS WW2 game with commandable bots :)

I've seen the video before, i've been waiting for years for this, it started out as an amateur modding effort for OFP, then it was adapted for ARMA, and then BIA got involved, and now its turned into a professional product, thanks to the ARMA engine and the awesome models and textures of the modders it looks like we are going to get a photo realistic FPS WW2 game with commandable bots :)

Is this the Invasion 44 mod for Op Flashpoint from about 10years ago?

Is this the Invasion 44 mod for Op Flashpoint from about 10years ago?

No, there were two WW2 OFP mods in progress then, Invasion 44 (Normandy theatre) which is out on the ARMA2 engine and Liberation 44 (Russian theatre) which is now Iron Front.

No, there were two WW2 OFP mods in progress then, Invasion 44 (Normandy theatre) which is out on the ARMA2 engine and Liberation 44 (Russian theatre) which is now Iron Front.

Oh I see. OFP was one of the 1st FPS I played and a what a good game it was. I remember the I44 mod was being developed but I had moved on to other games such as CM by then

Oh I see. OFP was one of the 1st FPS I played and a what a good game it was. I remember the I44 mod was being developed but I had moved on to other games such as CM by then

I played OFP until i was sick of it, especially Everon Capture The Island, amazing team play with each side having a CO that had a BMP/BRADLEY that was a mobile HQ, the CO's job was to build the bases and the rest of the team captured towns to get cash for men, vehicles and tech upgrades, so there was a lot of strategic planning on top of all the tactical combat.

I used to play with my brother, we had two PC's in the same room, sweet set up, our very first CTI game we went on the US team, it was a night game, we didn't have a clue what we were doing and we unwittingly drove off in the US HQ Bradley and got it blown up by an RPG, we couldn't understand what the fuss was until someone explained amongst all the WTF's, so we bailed out the game and did some research before we ventured back into CTI land again :)

I played OFP until i was sick of it, especially Everon Capture The Island, amazing team play with each side having a CO that had a BMP/BRADLEY that was a mobile HQ, the CO's job was to build the bases and the rest of the team captured towns to get cash for men, vehicles and tech upgrades, so there was a lot of strategic planning on top of all the tactical combat.

I used to play with my brother, we had two PC's in the same room, sweet set up, our very first CTI game we went on the US team, it was a night game, we didn't have a clue what we were doing and we unwittingly drove off in the US HQ Bradley and got it blown up by an RPG, we couldn't understand what the fuss was until someone explained amongst all the WTF's, so we bailed out the game and did some research before we ventured back into CTI land again :)

I like that story, It takes me back :)

+1 to that! Arma2 and those mods are brilliant -- it's just the social dimension that can prevent the games from being all they can be. Because it's a FPS that are best played live online with lots of other people, you get all the joys and sorrows of human online society. Basically you either put up with looking for pickup games on the public servers, or join a "clan" of one sort or another.

The public servers will quickly bore anyone who likes realistic play, cooperation or tactics (lots of kids, drunks, lone-wolf Rambos just running and gunning. Spawn, shoot, die, rinse & repeat).

The other alternative is seeking an organized "clan" of one sort or another that commits to a certain standard of play and screens its members. But to really be part of it -- if you're admitted -- you often have to commit to an ambitious schedule of basic training, drills, and other group activities that range between annoyingly time-consuming to creepily cult-like.

To be fair, I'm sure there's no better experience in wargaming than to be in one of those highly organized clan battles, fighting a force of tactically adept human opponents in a fantastically detailed and vivid 3D world. But I just never found a satisfying niche there, so for my money I'm happier with the readily accessible thrills of CMBN.

This has been my experience as well. I was in some clannish French brigade in WWII Online. Once was enough. ARMA2 was sometimes rewarding in the summer of 2010 online as long as you stayed away from Coop. At least in a non-coop game you have some chance of putting a force together like you want and going after the enemy in less than 20 minutes without being told "don't touch anything" about fifty times by your fellow coop people.

So yes! I'll almost certainly get Iron Front some time or other. And even try to play online a few times.

This has been my experience as well. I was in some clannish French brigade in WWII Online. Once was enough. ARMA2 was sometimes rewarding in the summer of 2010 online as long as you stayed away from Coop. At least in a non-coop game you have some chance of putting a force together like you want and going after the enemy in less than 20 minutes without being told "don't touch anything" about fifty times by your fellow coop people.

So yes! I'll almost certainly get Iron Front some time or other. And even try to play online a few times.

I was tempted with clans but after watching some youtube vids i thought i would be arguing with my CO all the time :)

Bennys Warfare mission was the best thing about ARMA2, it was an upgraded version of OFP's CTI missions, i used to go lone wolf and race to Falar on the Takistan map becuase it was in the centre of the map slap bang on the major North / South road, and because it's a mountainous region like Afghanistan tracked vehicles really needed to use the roads, so strategically Falar was huge, what a buzz trying to get their first, kill the AI that guarded the towns, then get a repair truck and set up SPG's (recoiless rifles) and Metis launchers on tripods.

If you managed it it was awesome watching the Metis fire off heat seekers from 800m away and watching all you opponents expensive armor going up in flames to something that cost next to nothing, the SPG was my favourite, get that set up on a blind corner and take out the first jeep that showed it's face, once you stopped the first wave of enemy you could relax and start refining and reinforcing as the killed enemy would be bumped back to their base usually about 5km away, so even if you weren't actually running around with your team mates you were increasing the overall teams chances of winning by just forcing the enemy to go on massive detours, and considering the game map was 15 x 15 km thats was a big deal :)

The one strange thing about that mission was the respawn ambulance, given all the effort to make the mission realistic and then to go and put a magic Hummer/Vodnik in the mix that was cheap and had a respawn range of up to 500 metres, so you were drawn to it like a magnet despite any reservations about it's gameyness as it was the ultimate base killing weapon, all you had to do was pull up behind a ridge 500 metres from a known enemy base location loaded with RPG 7VL rockets or MAWS / SMAW rounds and you could pretty much trash a base before they could get a bead on you, hilarious if not massively gamey, they got round that eventually though by having an option to turn off ambu respawn and the ability for CO's to sell factories if they came under attack, i stopped playing it when the factory selling became standard as it rewarded stupid CO's that placed bases in bad spots.