Umpireless Combat Mission H2H Operations

Below is a link to a website containing a tutorial i have written showing how to use the operational game Panzer Campaigns by John Tiller Software in conjunction with Combat Mission to allow two or more players to play fully automated H2H operations that utilise full FOW, supply and engineering functions without the need for an umpire, spreadsheets or maps.

https://sites.google.com/site/combatmissionh2hoperations/

I have also included my rules for setting up CM battles for these operations and the application of combat effects on the units involved, these rules are currently being used in an operation i am umpiring using Panzer Campaigns Normandy 44 and CMBN and have worked well.

The tutorial is specifically written for use with the free demo of the Panzer Campaigns game Mius '43 available at a link in the tutorial, however as Mius '43 is from the Eastern Front series of games it can only be used with CMBB, unfortunately there are no free demos of the Western or Mediterranean Front Panzer Campaigns games, so to use the system with CMBN will require ownership of the full Panzer Campaign games Normandy 44 or Market Garden, however i have been in touch with Rich from John Tiller Software and he sent me this message via email:

"We can offer bulk pricing however, to where 5 or more copies (of any

games) are purchased at once. They must be shipped to a single

location however. So, if there's interest by you sharing what you are

doing as a GM and the other guys want to get the game we can do so at

a 40% discount off MSRP...hopefully that would help. Let me know if

you want more details".

Regards,

Rich

I have asked Rich to get back to me with details so watch this space.

Wow, noob, you have really put a lot of work into this. Thank you for this great addition to theCMBN gaming experience!

Thanks, i've been working on this for over a year but i only recently had a eureka moment which made it possible to remove umpires out of the equation :)

Noob, hi,

Looks superb, I am always interested in how to give greater context/use an operation layer, with CM.

Look forward to reading it all...

Thanks.

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks Kip, it's all thanks to the Panzer Campaigns OOB editor, it lets you change the values of units in a PBEM saved game at any point in the game without corrupting the save file, then add to that the Panzer Campaigns scenario editor with which you can make any scenario from all the major theatres from tiny to humongous operations, or just use the historical ones that come with the game, then as long as you activate manual defensive fire as a rule option the in game operational units will not fire on each other unless you make them, that means all the combat can be done elsewhere i.e.CM, then you just change the Panzer Campaigns OOB for the scenario you are playing to reflect the CM battle effects and you have an umpireless and paperless operation, the only proviso being your opponent, he must be trustworthy, as both parties can access each others OOB at any point in the game :)

Noob, hi,

Have had my first read through... extremely helpful :).

Have been undecided as to which game to use as an operational layer. I agree it is crucial that in Panzer Campaigns it is possible to edit saved game files. It is a real shame we cannot edit saved CM files ;).

Am likely to use Panzer Campaigns as an umpired operational layer. But massively useful to have this explanation. Very easy to follow How to.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Kip.

Noob, hi,

Have had my first read through... extremely helpful :).

Have been undecided as to which game to use as an operational layer. I agree it is crucial that in Panzer Campaigns it is possible to edit saved game files. It is a real shame we cannot edit saved CM files ;).

Am likely to use Panzer Campaigns as an umpired operational layer. But massively useful to have this explanation. Very easy to follow How to.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks, i'm glad you found it usefull, i'm currently working on a revised tutorial to make it simpler, i don't like too much text so i'm trying to reduce that as much as possible as my goal is not only to allow players to play operational CM but for it to be as user friendly as possible :)

Good work here noob

1 suggested rule maybe:

During the Axis Defensive Fire Phase or Russian Offensive Fire Phase.

Allow a player to use one of his arty units to attack an enemy group.

Results of this attack are:

Prevent a moving unit from attacking in the next battle phase (represents disruption to the attacking unit caused by an arty barrage).

for defencive units it will lower their morale or fitness -1 (represents disruption to defending units caused by an arty barrage).

This rule would help limit amount of arty used in the CMBN battles as it can be used more in its true strategic role.

The other advantage of this rule would be when a unit can see an attack from 3 sides developing the could prevent one of the units attacking. The change from 3 to 2 units attacking could make a major diffrence to the out come of the battle.

Good work here noob

1 suggested rule maybe:

During the Axis Defensive Fire Phase or Russian Offensive Fire Phase.

Allow a player to use one of his arty units to attack an enemy group.

Results of this attack are:

Prevent a moving unit from attacking in the next battle phase (represents disruption to the attacking unit caused by an arty barrage).

for defencive units it will lower their morale or fitness -1 (represents disruption to defending units caused by an arty barrage).

This rule would help limit amount of arty used in the CMBN battles as it can be used more in its true strategic role.

The other advantage of this rule would be when a unit can see an attack from 3 sides developing the could prevent one of the units attacking. The change from 3 to 2 units attacking could make a major diffrence to the out come of the battle.

I thought about allowing players to have the option of using their artillery in the Panzer Campaigns game to utilise their maximum ranges, apart from the situations you mention it would mean the high ground would start to play a larger role other than just for spotting purposes, i'm glad you mentioned it as it's an itch i need to scratch, i will have to experiment with it in gthe game or come up with some abstracted fire effects like you mentioned, thanks for the input.