split team morale hit

You do take a morale hit, whenever you split a squad, but there seems to be a bonus for stealth. On most occassions I split the lead platoons highest proficiency squad to act as a scout, when advancing. Often the follow on full squads get shot at and the lead scout section arrives safely, same with HQ's.

Clearly my question was confusing. So, let me try and clarify:

I know that if you split a squad during the game, each team takes a permanent morale hit. However...

1) If you split a squad in the EDITOR (so the squad appears on the map in the set-up turn already split into teams) is there a morale hit to the teams?

2) If you split a squad into teams DURING the SET-UP turn, do the teams take a morale hit?

Hope that is clearer...

really, dont need to worry about it much, the morale hit does not seem to be enough to hurt your units much.

Way back when we had threads on how splitting all your units is a way to winning, there was no questions units spit in game play was to your advantage, the only draw back was making sure they would not be to close to each other to recombine, a bad thing if one of the units is already broken.

So it was called gamey and cheating, Even Steve finially said that the engine was not designed with that in mind and that splitting squads appeared to be creating advantages that was not anticipated. All good players in tournaments normally will split their squads.

Surely this should have been allowed for German units as it represented their tactics of the MG group supporting the assault group (though in reality it would not be a straight 50/50 split. Annoyed me that realistic Russian infantry tactics could not be represented, running being heavily penalised (try hitting a sprinting target in real life)

This is going back a ways, but am pretty sure that by recombining two teams, one which was exhausted/suppressed and the other was ok that if you got it the right way round re the A and B teams, the recombined squad would suddenly be ok.

It's also a great way to save ammo for those mass firepower SMG heavy squads, since one rarely needed 450 firepower factors. One team of 250 was quite enuff.

But, re my original question I was surprised that if the squad was split in the editor and started on the map as teams, that they would NOT have a morale hit. I just was not sure about what happens to their morale when split in the set-up turn.

So, am surprised that the opinion is that the teams have the morale hit even when split in the editor. Are we certain about that? Is it in the manual, or discovered thru trial and error???

You had it correct Erwin. If you recombine an unbroken A team with a previously routed or broken B team the previously broken status would disappear. Mind you, the opposite was the case if the A team was the previously broken one so that recominbing with a perfectly good B team would cause the whole squad to be considered shaken from then on.

Regards

KR

Sorry can't help you on that specific question. My guess would be that they would still cop the morale hit as it seems logical to me that they would. If you're creating a scenario with split teams, one way to counter the morale hit is to ensure that an HQ with a morale bonus is part of the platoon that has split squads.

Regards

KR