Mortars

Hi all,

Has anyone got a logical explanation for this or is it a bug? There was a small isolated clump of trees in which I suspected there were some enemy troops. My HQ unit had direct LOS to the trees. The mortar unit was about twenty yards away from the HQ and in full C&C. Both units were regular and the HQ had a +1 leader rating. Neither were under fire nor even observed. I issued the indirect fire order and waited the four minutes. The first spotting round landed right on target. Next GT I waited in excited anticipation for the bombardment to begin. I was surprised to see another spotting round fired which landed about 200 yards beyond the target! The third round landed about two hundred yards to the left of the target. I let this go on for about four GT's with spotting rounds well frankly landing all over the place. Eventually after wasting 8 rounds I had to cancel the mission and move the mortar to direct fire on the wood, which was carried out with great success......

Don't think the spotting round process is affected by the factors you mention, although it can be disrupted by pinning the observer or mortars. The perfect first round was a fluke, gamewise. However, once the stonk gets going it invariably gets increasingly accurate vs a point target. You dont want to be moving (or much of anything else) once you're a target at that stage.

How far away from the trees was the HQ? Were there LOS obscurations?

Have a savegame?

It was 283 metres from HQ to trees. When I toggle trees full on there is a line of trees along a road between the HQ and the clump of trees. Actually, when I see it with trees at full toggle (I usually plot my moves with trees at half toggle) I am amazed that the HQ could see the clump at all! I suppose this would make spotting difficult. Do you think that's why the spotting rounds were all over the place and the mortar refused to fire? Sorry, no saved game.