acrashb,

Pertaining to issue (4) I thought I read in the rules that units with 0 supply at the time they were destroyed could not be "repurchased". I'll have to recheck that. If true, that goes some distance in forcing players to think twice about fruitless advances behind enemy lines.

It's actually units destroyed with supply of less than 5, so not only are they the easiest to destroy, you are really punishing your opponent by doing so. Pick on them first and he won't be pleased! :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) since once we accept complexity as a new guiding factor, the nature of the game / simulation has and will changed. "slippery slope" may be, in a philosophy class, a fallacious argument, but in the real world of less-perfect rationality it can prepare people for the next step. Think about all the things politicians and bureaucrats foist on us, an inch at a time.

Yes, I admit politicians use it to "foist" things on us. However, there are a number of key differences in SC3 that make it incompatible with the slippery slope argument:

1) Fury soft are not (I hope!) greedy, self-centered persons trying to take advantage of us or try to diminish us.

2) Fury soft alone has the full power on decision making. They don't need our approval for things. As the name suggests, the Slippery Slope argument works from the top down, but not from the bottom up.

3) Either we are able to influence them with our "minority opinion", and not just our ideas and being a think tank for them, or we can't. If we can't influence them, we can't bring about a slippery slope danger. If we can, we can also stop it just as easily because I don't think anyone of us wants the game to get bogged down in unnecessary detail - just appropriate and strategic detail.

Hubert, I would like to see 3 research areas added for tactics. One for air, sea, and land. This would be a very expensive research area that increases not only a units attack and defense values, but also morale, movement, supply, and possibly even the number of strikes. This would be the equivalent of a land unit learning combined arms doctrine, manoeuver. It may possibly only go as high as 3 points and should cost the same as two of the other more expensive research items such as heavy tanks.

With or without stacking implemented, I would also suggest some form of combined attacking / outflanking attempts being possible.

As it is, poorer quality units cannot effectively attack higher quality units in even conditions, even with a numerical superiority. This is demonstrable in the Near East in every game - the Turks cannot attack, not really.