Coax MGs

I know that this has been talked about before but I wish I could give "Rates" of fire for these weapons. I was playing the Last Defence Scenario and an Infantry section located an American section in near a building on my right (next to the objective). I crept a Tiger up and opened fire with the coax. "Burst..........................Burst............................Burst." This is not how to win a firefight. This kind of fire is indicitive of fire AFTER the firefight is won and the troops are manouvering. How I wanted that tank to just give 'er and win the fight with rapid rate then, once the en had gone to ground slack off and "maintain" the situation. The tracer graphics did a very good job in simulating the real effect.

Well Done All Around......

Rob Deans

The tracers are very well done. I do wish that they were different colors for different armies. I believe the Germans used green and the US at least used red. Also, in real life tracers ricochet all over the place, but I suppose that would be way too confusing for the player smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Harold Jones (edited 11-01-99).]

I've mentioned it somewhere else, but this seems a good place to mention it again. The tracer "density", i.e. how many you see in a single burst, also indicate the "outgoing" firepower. Watch how this changes over distances and with automatic weapons!

--- Curious George mode on ---

Two questions about MG's & MG42:

1) I like the jams. How long do they take to unjam in real-life and how long do they take in CM?

2) Someone mentioned some interesting stuff on barrel change-outs, is that a part of CM. How many barrels did they have? Can JAM in CM mean barrel change-out.

--- Curious George mode off ---

Thanks in advance for the help,

Richard Kalajian

Kingtiger:

To me 'jam' means any kind of mechanical problem that requires attention because either the gun will be non-operational shortly or it is currently broken. A lot of things can cause mechanical problems with mg's. (I have personal exp with m240, m60 and m2HB mg's) Barrel changeout takes as little as 5 sec for a mg42 according to the info I have. That is also true of the m240, roughly a similar barrel configuration. M2HB is also easy to switch barrels. So...barrel changeouts are probably not indicated with a jam unless it's a very short one or the operators are panicking and fumbling about or running around trying to find a spare barrel. I think the most common 'jam' will be in stress situations with less experienced troops: they will continue to fire the weapon with the same barrel until it overheats, expanding and causing a catastrophic jam in the barrel...or perhaps the belt got loaded with the open face of the links up (this destroys an M2HB)...or the belt got hung on something and fed wrong jamming the breech. Some mg's required careful adjustment (like M2HB headspace and timing) or they would cease operation or become hazardous. Also water cooled mg's like the vickers or water cooled browning .30 cal could boil away all their water necessitating a scramble for more water (or a search for guys that needed to take a whizz). Some mg's can become fouled if they are gas operated and this could be a major problem. m240 and m60 are and I'm pretty sure mg42 is also. I fired a lot through m240's and m2hb's and they never jammed. M60 is a different story if it gets dirty.

In short jams in CM probably subsume anything mechanical that could possible go wrong meaning it could take seconds or several minutes to fix really. A simple 'jam' caused by failure of the action to eject a casing or chamber the next round can be fixed by simply manually working the action. If you are under extreme stress very simple things can suddenly become very difficult. Many rifles of some green Union regiments collected on the fields of Antietam after the battle were found to have been loaded up to 5 times without ever being discharged. I'd like to think crew quality affects unjam times but I haven't played enough to see this.

-Ren

Guest Big Time Software

Rob, RoF is automatically increased at close ranges. To allow the human to set RoF is not only impractical (i.e. 60 seconds of hands off combat), but also would involve cumbersome interface. It would also be very hard to make the TacAI use longer bursts effectively. So although it is a bit of an abstraction the way it is, it is the BEST thing for the game and simulation on the whole. Also, didn't your Tiger's MG fire still do the job you needed it to do? Rember that more bullets expended doesn't necessarily mean more casualties caused.

MG sounds were either from direct recordings or ones we made up to sound like the real thing. We have some videos of the real stuff firing and were able to make very close copies of them. The MG42 was one of them.

Steve

If you want to hear the sound of the MG42 without any of the other battlefield noises, simply open up your CM demo folder and then open up the subdirectory called 'wav.' I believe the MG42 are files 00000440 through 442.

They sound pretty good to me. Of course, if you want to replace them with the sound of a chicken clucking, that could be an interesting experiment. wink.gif

Thorsten

"To allow the human to set RoF is not only impractical (i.e. 60 seconds of hands off combat), but also would involve cumbersome interface"

I dissagree. The menu would simply have one more "entry"......"Target" and "Target (Rapid Rate). The logic behind this would be, firing would be at a rapid rate until the target was suppressed and then it would slack off to "Normal Rate" if the target presented itself again, back up to rapid rate. Many times moving targets have made it accross a gap of fair distance and only engaged once by my unit. This was at the beginning of the the targets "run" and I sat and watched the en run away.

Thanks,

Rob Deans

Guest Big Time Software

Not a bad point Rob. However, there are many "special interest" orders like this that one could make a convincing argument for. The problem is that each order is fine by itself, but the sum of the whole is not. We drew a hard line a long time ago to not include any more orders since we feel the total number is already up there.

Steve