Hoffnung Campaign Scen 5 & 6 *SPOILERS*

Finally had time to complete this rather good German vs AI campaign. Each scenario in this campaign was different from the others so never got that cookie cutter feeling. However, this was the campaign in which my Panzers experienced about 20% immobilizations each scenario which was annoyingly high since you don't get replacements.

Scenario 5 was xnt. Attacking a town with what was left of two companies and 2 platoons (PzIV and Pz V) of armor. Also had a couple 75mm inf guns. And some 150mm and rockets as well as 81mm etc.

Enjoyed using the ample resources to capture the town during 3 minutes "overtime", so it was close.

The only problem was my handling of the inf guns. Very hard to use on offense as the truck transports are very vulnerable if you try to transport the guns forward quickly, and the guns are too slow if you have the crew push em. I ended up losing both trucks and the guns' fire was a waste of shells and accomplished virtually nothing. The lesson was that it's probably best to use inf guns in an indirect fire role via a FO when attacking.

The final Scen 6 was "interesting" but a bit of a let down as one is defending and the AI is not the best attacker shall we say... even though in the end I was surprised that it did well enuff to get a Draw (altho' Axis got a Tactical Victory for the Campaign).

The problem with defense is that after set-up, there seemed to be virtually nothing to do for the first 20-25 of the 50 turns while Allied arty pounded my positions. (It KO'd one of my three AT guns plus perhaps 5 or 6 inf casualties.)

Then the Allied attacked, leading with their plentiful tanks. One of my PzV's shot 5 and one AT gun got another 4 before being overwhelmed. Not to worry0 I thought... I still had a whole bunch of Shrecks...

However, the Shreck performance was abysmal. ACH - NEVER MIND. JUST REALIZED THEY CAN'T BE FIRED FROM INSIDE BUILDINGS DUH!

However, these are not problems with this Campaign and I recommend HOFFNUNG if you fancy playing the Nazis vs the WAllies for a change...

**Spoilers here too, well not really**

Good Campaign! I was surprised at how few enemy AT guns gave me a hard knock, even approaching cautious. Tank and artillery smoke is in the game for a reason. I became very economical with my forward observers as I really needed them as well as the tanks. The play balance was perfect for me. And the maps had a fresh feel to them. Alot of thought to unit placement.

One thing tho, I would suggest adding a non-core recon unit as fodder...anything, a 3 man team even. I lost my recon element early on and found myself starting a scenario (5th I think) on an empty battlefield. No units, until the main body showed up as reinforcements.

A general comment about the game, not directed at the campaign: This is the first time I played consecutive night battles, well early dawn actually. And I had to adjust my monitor. Would be nice if some subtle backlighting could be added, likely beyond this game's capability.

I agree, there should be more replacements (in any campaign) since one can lose a lot and it's a bitch to have to refight a scenario just to have enuff units to keep going - like your experience with recon, and mine with having 5 tanks immobilized most without getting into any battle.