Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Loving the little details.. (SPOILERS)

If there's one thing in particular that really floats my boat in CM Normandy, it's the scale of this game. I'm playing Hussar this time as the Germans. I haven't played this for some time and forgot how nice this mission is. It's probably one of my favourites for various reasons.

What I love in particular is the scale, from the smallest little details to the huge sprawling maps. There's simply nothing else like it! You can sink yourself into enormous battalion sized engagements and throw literally hundreds of anonymous units at a single VL, or as is the case here, you can carefully position a handful of well-trained men and lie in wait.. Here I am with a single 250/1, a tank hunter team of 2 men, and a LMG team of 2 men. I couldn't remember how this game played out, so I considered the terrain.

I placed my tank hunter squad by a bridge and kept a covered arc. I didn't want them hidden, as I wanted to potentially surprise whatever came over that bridge with a panzerfaust. I placed my LMG team a bit further back, concealed and with a covered arc. I kept my 250/1 out of sight hiding behind some bocage. I couldn't remember what to expect or when but I could see that this bridge was a prime position for some trouble.

Within a few minutes my hunch was right - my tank hunter squad had spotted an M5A1 casually advancing towards me. Now at this point in the past all hell has kicked off, that much I could remember. But this time it was different and played out exactly as I had intended. I kept my covered arcs in place and waited. Within a turn the M5A1 had advanced into my cover arc - I followed my tank hunter squad break cover and immediately launch a faust. Wow! First hit first kill. Hit on the weak rear armour and penetration, I watched in awe as the crew bailed a few seconds later. They ran straight into the LOS of my LMG team who tore them apart with a single burst of MG42. Amazing stuff!

At this point a second M5A1 was in sight, and in the confusion and smoke had crossed the bridge exposing his flank to my tank hunter squad. As he went to reverse my second faust launched and up in smoke she went! Whooooooom. Gone. 2 crew members bail but soon hit the deck. My single tank hunter squad had claimed two impressive kills within 3 minutes. My LMG team mopped up.

A minute or so later this M8 appears, somewhat cautiously this time, and halts. Now I'm in trouble I thought. I had nothing to counter that 37mm and he had perfect LOS. But my men were concealed. So he advanced, very slowly, across that bridge. I could see a crew member manning the gun, I was that close. My tank hunter squad let rip once again. This time with their SMG's. KO! One crew member KIA and then I see a grenade flying through the air. My LMG team had wanted a piece of the action too and without any input from me attacked the M8 with small arms. Now my 250/1 turns the corner and starts to unleash a suppression hell. Using the 7.92mm AP round I can see shots glancing and penetrating the light armour of the M8. Chaos and confusion all round, I see the M8 reverse at full speed back over that bridge and out of LOS. He gets over the bridge, comes to a full-stop and I can just make out the crew, jumping out and running for cover. The Americans haven't even managed to get a single round off yet!

Now obviously taking the AI into account, this is CM at its best. Really, really impressive stuff.

Beautiful story. I heartily agree about the gems in this game. I must hit the "replay" button numerous times before I move on to the next turn becuase I'm constantly watching the action from various angles and see things that just amaze me.

You get the best of both worlds with this game. One, you are a master technician, planning and executing real world tactics. Two, you are a movie goer with the best seat in the house, watching the ececution of those tactics on the big screen.

To Phil Standbridge

Yes, the A.I is really now at its best and you just demonstrated it to us,in your well written AAR spoiler. Thanks

To Frankster65

I don't play Wego most of the time being too impatient to see the action going on like at a movie. But I am losing some action gems, that I don't see if I am not locked on the area it takes place. Too bad we can't have, for technical actual limitation, a replay

Great story. I agree about how amazing this game can be. I too am playing Huzzar right now - for the first time. I am playing as the Americans head to head with a good friend of mine. It takes me about an hour to play each turn because there is so much good action to watch.

Our first fire fight was amazing too. In that case it was an M8 backed by another M8 and an M5 who turned a corner and ran smack into a 20mm cannon equipped HT and were flanked by a MG carrying HT. I am not sure who won that first fight. Sure I KO'ed both HTs but he killed on M8 and immobilized the other and the M5.

Those first few moments were amazing, and in the near darkness it was even better. The 20mm canons took out the lead M8 pretty fast (but the German HT was immobilized first) while the MG HT mowed down the crew. Then the other M8 took out the MG HT while the M5 went head to head with the 20mm cannons. The M5 put round after round into the engine block of the 20mm HT and received, in return, a hail of 20mm shells. The M5 gunner finally nudged the barrel up a bit and blew the HT up but not before the M5 lost its tracks to the 20mm shells.

I actually recorded that first exchange - but I have not gotten around to editing a useful video. I should get on that:)