how to recon

Hallo!

I´m pretty new with CMBN.

As a result I got already stuck in the first mission of the "Panzer Marsch" campain, where you have to recon the allied positions for the following attack.

As ordered I proceed my troops to the 4 observationpoints and keep them waiting for at least 5-10 minutes. But even then, I can´t discover any allied position. When sneaking closer, I always receive very efficient fire, without getting any detailed intel or positions.

Is there any clou how to get any more information without sacrifing all my teams?

Thanks in advance for your advice

I played this scenario as well and it's a good trainer for recon. What I learned:

1) Keep all recon on v small >10m arcs so they don't fire if they see anything.

2) Recon units need to be as small as possible, in this scenario I think they are all 2-4 men each so that's ok.

3) When you reach a good observation point tucked into the bocage so you can see thru, leave them there not hiding for 2-4 minutes. (You should get to see enemy contacts/evidence of some kind. Not sure why you are having problems.) Then HUNT or SLOW move em to close by points and repeat.

4) In this scenario you also have the option of a deeper recon on the flanks (esp the Right) so you try and get to see what you can from a flank.

You aren't alone in having trouble with this mission. I don't really think there is a good way to do it unless you cheat by looking at the Allied positions and then reloading the scenario to sneak around them. You can simply withdraw and ceasefire and it won't really effect the overall campaign that much in this particular case. Others probably have better advice though, I could never figure this one out. :D

In general, recon is much easier and more effective (i.e. not in the dark, at extremely close ranges, trying to spot through full hedges) and well worth the time. Splitting your squads up and having a couple guys take a peak before moving everyone through an area is one of the most important tactics in the game. Edit: Like Erwin said, using very short cover arcs will keep your guys from giving away their position.

yes I agree but keeping in mind when I played I really felt like I blew it on that first mission and was mauled by US forces pretty bad by moving my forces into areas that shouldve been reconned better in the second mission....I quit after the second scenario to reevulate just how comfortable I really was yet for full on campaign but at the end of each scenario the fog of war is lifted and the player can study the other side..the casualties youu may have inflicted wiithout seeing or knowing about it ect and although I absolutely love this feature as part of my after action debriefing of sorts....now I feel tainted, as though Ive cheated because if I decide to replay the campaign cuz I am more familiar with the mechanics of things now Im gonna know where the US forces were and be tempted to cheat with well aimed artillery barrage at opening of first turn...hahaha so far though still plenty more campaigns/missions to get thru without that being too much of a dilema hahahah rock on battlefront! You're the only ones that really understand me! LOL :)

You aren't alone in having trouble with this mission. I don't really think there is a good way to do it unless you cheat by looking at the Allied positions and then reloading the scenario to sneak around them. You can simply withdraw and ceasefire and it won't really effect the overall campaign that much in this particular case. Others probably have better advice though, I could never figure this one out. :D

In general, recon is much easier and more effective (i.e. not in the dark, at extremely close ranges, trying to spot through full hedges) and well worth the time. Splitting your squads up and having a couple guys take a peak before moving everyone through an area is one of the most important tactics in the game. Edit: Like Erwin said, using very short cover arcs will keep your guys from giving away their position.

Yep, can't work this one out either. Tried it twice to no practical avail. To add insult to injury, the second time one of my teams that was sitting perfectly still started to take fire from invisible Americans after a few minutes. When I tried to pull them out they got wiped out and I still didn't even have a sound contact icon. Don't do recon in the dark.

SPOLILER

Oddly enough I found the second mission very easy as the Americans completely failed to protect one flank. Go figure...

1) Keep all recon on v small >10m arcs so they don't fire if they see anything.

2) Recon units need to be as small as possible, in this scenario I think they are all 2-4 men each so that's ok.

3) When you reach a good observation point tucked into the bocage so you can see thru, leave them there not hiding for 2-4 minutes. (You should get to see enemy contacts/evidence of some kind. Not sure why you are having problems.) Then HUNT or SLOW move em to close by points and repeat.

4) In this scenario you also have the option of a deeper recon on the flanks (esp the Right) so you try and get to see what you can from a flank.

+ units with binoculars and in command with their HQ will spot better

Ya IMO that mission doesn't work all that well. You almost always get spotted shortly after seeing any actual enemy units. I would just do the minimum required, hit the 4 zones or whatever, and then withdraw. Even after I knew the basic layout of the enemy positions (after many retries with my scouts getting shot to pieces), I would still get spotted frequently whenever I was in spotting range, even though I knew how to come up behind or to the side.

But as others said, use "slow" exclusively when near suspected enemy positions, use the guys with binocs, take long pauses, and use tiny cover arcs.

The campaign gets much better after that mission. I just don't really think the engine is able to handle that sort of night recon type thing intelligently.

Don't bother using the vehicles at all except for maybe picking your units up quickly after you've scouted and need to get back to withdraw before mission's end.

Thanks @ all for the hints.

I guess I´ve to try this out in another 5 attempts ;)

But maybe I shouldn´t be to ambitious at this mission because meanwhile I think noxnoctum is right and the code isn´t able to handle this situation.

I´m just in hope for some good placed, planned artillery strikes in the first turn of mission 2, because of the bad sight due to the bocage the FO is of limited use.

At last I should ask the mission designer :)

Happy new year to everyone

As someone pointed out, use the guys with binocs primarily. Leave the vehicles behind. USe the crews on foot.

I found it pretty easy to spot foxholes, to a biut more patience to spot unit, but I did it. Not sure why it's causing problems.

Use initiative and go around the flanks to find possible safe route where there are no enemy units. You'll need that when your attack in the next mission.

Good advice. I hide the bulk of my troops and use a command unit, AT team, or vagrant AFV crew- anyone with binocs- to do the spotting.