HQ Support Units and Mortars

I notice that although Weapons Platoon HQ support units have radios they cannot sit with their mortar teams and receive fire missions. This seems a little odd - Am I wrong to imagine that the Weapons Platoon HQ should be able to call up his own support unit to request a fire mission?

Can anyone explain?

I notice that although Weapons Platoon HQ support units have radios they cannot sit with their mortar teams and receive fire missions. This seems a little odd - Am I wrong to imagine that the Weapons Platoon HQ should be able to call up his own support unit to request a fire mission?

Agreed. HQ Support units should be able to receive mortar fire missions.

Keep the HQ with the tubes and use the HQ support as FO
The problem with this is that it is desirable to have the HQ unit forward with the men, to provide leadership.

Another solution is to place a jeep with a radio near your mortars. Then they get the effect of the radio and you can call them from afar. (Why the HQ Support unit does not have the same effect is a good question.)