Help with Hell in the hedgerows v2 (spoilers)

What a nightmare mission.. An absolute pig for me. Fortunately I kept a fresh save so I can go back and replay it. I haven't been able to win so far and thus get booted out of the campaign which is annoying to say the least. Considering all of my previous missions have been total victories. This seems a really odd inclusion. And why no bloody FO's for petes sake?? It takes 12 minutes to call in those 75mm howitzers!

Anyway, what's the best strategy for tackling this? I think smoke rounds would be the only way - I tried concealment and a stealthy approach but it only got me so far, with horrendous casualties. If this was authentic, they'd pull out, and wait for the artillery/armour to arrive. But hey ho!

If this was authentic, they'd pull out, and wait for the artillery/armour to arrive.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? ;) Apparently, they pressed on in spite of what was being thrown at them which IRL included nebelwerfers. The 2/325 was hurt badly in this mission, so much so that they did nothing for a couple of days.

You're playing v2? I'm away from my main computer just now as I'm on holiday so I can't remember what the difference is between v1 and v2. Especially seeing as how you've been scoring Total Victories in every mission up until now. (that should mean you're playing v1)

You'd think so, wouldn't you? ;) Apparently, they pressed on in spite of what was being thrown at them which IRL included nebelwerfers. The 2/325 was hurt badly in this mission, so much so that they did nothing for a couple of days.

You're playing v2? I'm away from my main computer just now as I'm on holiday so I can't remember what the difference is between v1 and v2. Especially seeing as how you've been scoring Total Victories in every mission up until now. (that should mean you're playing v1)

Wow, amazing to think. So maybe a mad, and foolish rush is the only way? An hour isn't a great deal of time to plan for much else to be honest, although I am trying different approaches.

I just checked through my campaign stats. I scored major and total victories mostly. With one Minor victory and that was Turnbull's stand. I'm defo playing V2 here.

It is the RTM campaign yes, and it's a good campaign to sink your teeth into. I have really enjoyed it so far. But this mission is a real challenge!

You seem to a get version 1 or a version 2 in some important, decision making missions, depending how well or how bad you perform in missions prior. Paper Tiger will be able to clarify better than I. I'm sure that the version I'm playing here will have different victory locations and/or different forces. It's a good way of adding a little extra spice to the campaign as well - keeps replayability alive and well.

Some specifics related to how I played this one:

1. Smoke at the beginning to help redeploy out of the setup zone and begin forward movement.

2. Barrage with the 75s on the back line of hedgerow as soon as I could get LOS to do so. You won't kill the bunkers, but you can mess up other units back there, and the AI isn't smart enough to redeploy.

3. Using the MGs and LMGs to suppress (and sometimes kill) the bunkers.

4. Using mortars for knocking out MGs and other stubborn defenders (60mm in direct fire mode most of the time).

Otherwise, it's a standard fire-and-move advance in the chosen hedgerow fields. One of the curious things about these types of battles is that wheatfields show up more often than would be realistic for Normandy, and they tend to be better choices for advancing.

Hope that helps.

The v2 refers to the mission's version number. In this instance, there are two versions of the 'Hell in the Hedgerows' mission:

v1 is the standard mission and doesn't have the suffix

v2 is an alternate version found in the scenario title at the top of the briefing. This means that an earlier mission was 'lost'. Most likely 'Neuville au Plain' and that's why you are exiting the campaign if you lose. Two consecutive losses eject you from the campaign. What result did you get in that mission?

The v2 refers to the mission's version number. In this instance, there are two versions of the 'Hell in the Hedgerows' mission:

v1 is the standard mission and doesn't have the suffix

v2 is an alternate version found in the scenario title at the top of the briefing. This means that an earlier mission was 'lost'. Most likely 'Neuville au Plain' and that's why you are exiting the campaign if you lose. Two consecutive losses eject you from the campaign. What result did you get in that mission?

I can't remember being totally honest :( It was either a draw or it was a win. Can you remember the map - that might help me. I haven't got the save game now of that either so I can't check. I haven't lost a battle to date (apart from this one!).

Ah, it's nice to have a quiet day to recover from the Festive excesses. It sounds like you either drew or lost Neuville au Plain, the village map mission that starts just before the dawn. The campaign script considers a Draw to be a loss. The v2 means that the 2/325 start with slightly lower morale.

BTW, as you get further into a series, the number of possible variants increases dramatically. I think there are as many as six variants of Neuville au Plain, for example. That's v1 to v6 and each one plays differently.

I can't remember being totally honest :( It was either a draw or it was a win. Can you remember the map - that might help me. I haven't got the save game now of that either so I can't check. I haven't lost a battle to date (apart from this one!).

Just promoting my program a little bit.

If you're interested in the campaign flow, you could use my CMBN Scenario Organisor (see my sig below). It will show you the victory levels required to advance to specific versions of scenarios in the RTM campaign (and others).

Paper Tiger is right (how couldn't he be as the creator of this great campaign), you must have got a draw (or lost) in the mission before "Hell in the Hedgerows v2", which was "Neuville au Plain". If you had won at least a minor victory, you would have got to "Hell in the Hedgerows" (which is v1 of this particular mission).