Pbem

I doubt you can pbem an entire battle in one night. I expect it would take at least an hour for each side to set up, and, as the sides set up sequentially, two hours of the night will be gone before the first turn of the battle can begin. As each minute of game time requires the exchange of four emails, you and your opponent will have to exchange 80 emails to complete 20 minutes of the battle.

I haven't seen any CM:BN battles with fewer than 30 minutes of battle time. Just ask how long you and your opponent need to play each minute. Add the two numbers (as play is sequential) and multiply by the designed duration of the battle. If the result is less than the number of minutes in one night, you can expect to succeed. Otherwise, you won't.

It has to be at least two files per minute, because each player must provide orders for each minute of battle. They could generate the orders at the same time, but both players' orders must be available to calculate the results of the orders.

Player A could send his orders to player B, and player B could provide his orders and resolve the turn. Player B should not see the results of that resolution before he sends the resolution to player A. Otherwise, player B could resolve the minute's activity half a dozen times and send A the resolution B liked best.

Even with perfect trust between the opponents, there must be at least two emails exchanged for each minute of battle. (orders in -- results out) As I recall (I haven't tried a pbem games in a few years), Battlefront's pbem system prevented cheating by requiring four emails for each minute of battle.

Best bet is for players to do the set up and some of the early files PBEM whenever they can then arrange for a time when both will be able to play for a few hours and use a file exchange program (dropbox) and you're good to go.

Each file has a film to see unlike the CMx1 game so things go rather quick once the set up is done. You may not get a full game in but you'd get a good dent into it. I do that with some guys and you get a good feel for the flow of battle that way. I don't play RT because I don't like it, so that is the next best thing.

I live in Central Canada so if anyone wants to arrange for a game like that don't be shy. I do all my CM'ing over at The Blitz.