Spooky bug - Man down!

Never happened before so I assume it's "just one of those things". Help not required, just sharing the experience.

I'm playing the Pointe du Hoc scenario (that's relevant) and I've got everybody up the cliff except of one MG team. Well I'd ordered them up some time earlier so why are they still down there? Order them again. And again. Right then, lets watch what they're up to? They scale the cliff, advance part of the way to where I told then then turn round and go back again.

Must be morale. Nope. Good order, no incoming. But they keep doing it.

Then I notice an odd thing (this is where Pointe du Hoc is relevant). Their icon is, depending on the angle, partially submerged in the ground when they're on top of the cliffs. No-one else's is. So I'm wondering if one of the team is stuck on the beach. According to the UI its a 4-man team and sure enough, there appears to be only three of them. So I go and have a look at the apparently empty beach. No-one there. But remember I have the team highlighted. And then I spot it! The green "base" of a man on the beach. Our missing MG man. Except he really is missing. There is only the base. Thing is, "it" won't move. Presumably as there is nothing to move. The green disk won't move on its own, right? Apparently not. I've moved the team to stand right back with "it" and paused them in the hopes the disk would sort of join them next time they scale the cliff. But no. Just sits there like the ghost of a GI who bought it on the beach. Perhaps it is.

I assume that what is happening when the rest of the team move away is that the code doesn't like the team moving too far away so they have to go back. Perhaps they just can't bear to leave him there.

Unfortunately it means I'm an MG down and not as a result of enemy action. I could try and get him killed but I control the heights and I've run out of mortar ammo. Naval barrage at the beach? Bit desperate and, as CM models the actually trajectory of flying death, I'm not entirely sure that the disk will be vulnerable to what the Navy has to offer.

In CMx1 I used to find that very occasionally, men would load without faces. That was spooky too but at least they could move and fire their weapons.

This is not a bug I've seen before and I rather hope it won't be repeated. Of course, if you have any genius ideas, I'm all ears.

The very same thing happened to a MG team of mine in Pointe du Hoc, but I never figured out "the spooky man" issue. They just never got off the beach.

Interesting. Wonder if its a bug specifically related to Pointe du Hoc then? Or perhaps its deliberate. Nah, that would be weird...

Interesting. Wonder if its a bug specifically related to Pointe du Hoc then? Or perhaps its deliberate. Nah, that would be weird...

It might. I pointed (no pun intended:rolleyes:) it out to the guy who made the scenario (sorry, I forget how you are...) and he said it might be expected as the climbing of the cliffs uses a "flaw" in the programming.

It might. I pointed (no pun intended:rolleyes:) it out to the guy who made the scenario (sorry, I forget how you are...) and he said it might be expected as the climbing of the cliffs uses a "flaw" in the programming.

Ahhhh, I was wondering about the whole climbing cliff thing. Pretty spooky in itself. I assumed the engine doesn't really acknowledge the passability of hills for infantry, no matter how steep. But then those walls up the cliff must have some purpose as that the only place they can climb.