Tanks, please stop this stupid behavior

Some infantry appears right in front close to my tank shooting an mp40. Bow, co axle, and main gun all pointed at him. My tank pops smoke and reverses. ??

How about doing this..."gunner-Target-FIRE" then rotate turret and shoot the damned infantry.

In this case, mine didn't need to rotate turret, they were right in front of the tank.

Bear in mind that the tank doesn't know that the infantryman is alone.

In general, if faced with infantry in close quarters, it was (and is today) SOP for tanks to try to back off and create distance if at all possible. Visibility is extremely poor from within a buttoned tank, and especially up close, the tank has numerous blind spots which makes it difficult for the crew to keep enemy infantry close to the vehicle in sight.

Now, perhaps the machine guns should be firing as it does so, but it is certainly not realistic for a Sherman to pop smoke and back off when german soldier pops up within Panzerfaust distance.

Btw, it's "co-axial". "Co-axle" would be an MG sticking out of the hub of the drive wheel.

Btw, it's "co-axial". "Co-axle" would be an MG sticking out of the hub of the drive wheel.

CO-AX... with the gun no? That's how it's called. Bow mg and co-ax for the one next to main gun.

As for backing up, it sounds realistic to me.. you in a metal can that can be pierced at less than 15m by a ****load of stuff, would you stay there seeing pretty much nothing or back up and pound the **** out oof nthe spot with HE?

I would say it fits with a bad tank use probly, you need an infantry screen to protect your tank, having a close encouter with infantry from a tank is a tactical error(wich happens to me too sadly ;) ).

Didn't you mean "certainly is" realistic ?

Whups; yeah. That. Too late for me to edit now.

@pagskier:

CO-AX... with the gun no? That's how it's called. Bow mg and co-ax for the one next to main gun.

And what do you think the "ax" part of "co-ax" is a truncation of, my good friend? I'll give you a hint: "Axial" means "of, or pointing in the direction of, the same axis."

In other words, a "co-axial" MG on a tank is an MG that points in the same direction (or axis) as the main gun.

Q.E.D.

Whups; yeah. That. Too late for me to edit now.

Well just for the record I totally agree with you, any Allied tanker that got a whiff of a German foot soldier within a 100 meters would get the hell out of there as quickly as possible, even faster if the guy was 30 meters away considering the effectiveness of Panzerfausts.