Graphics...

Ive got vista home 64 and geforce 9600gt. Texts are good and all seems fine, but once in the game, the backround(the area off the game-zone) is totally black, and if I move the screen, most of the map just moves with the screen and sticks. So soon I'll have one huge mess. And its very slow too.

There was some topic about similar thingie, but nothing has helped so far. Tried the compability modes and diff resos...

Suggestions? Yeah and I want to keep vista =) For now....

Unfortunately I don't think that there are any solutions for the CMx1 series and newer Nvidia 8xx0 and 9xx0 series and the ATI 2xx0 and 3xx0 series hardware. Vista 64-bit and CMx1 titles may work with Nvidia 7xx0 series videocards and earlier. Though this may change depending on the driver version used (newer ones might break the support).

I believe rune has gotten Vista 64-bit to work with CMx1 titles, but he is also using an older Nvidia card to my knowledge. This issue is the same for the 32-bit versions of Vista also, so it isn't a 64-bit issue - though 64-bit does somewhat complicate things since driver is a little different (64-bit).

If you want to experiment a bit, you can install/reinstall DirectX 9.0c. This is the March 2008 version which supports Vista (according to the download page). I don't know if this changes anything compared to what is installed by default with Vista or if it is a whole new instance or additional libraries for DirectX 9.

The most likely avenue for a fix will probably be updated drivers. But I don't know how long it will take Nvidia and ATI to code up their drivers to better support older DirectX games under Vista.

[ April 23, 2008, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Anyway the news is that MS will be replacing Vista in two years time, so you may find that the card manufacturers will not bother to fix what may become a redundant problem. Best thing to do is to email or post your problem at NVIDIA's site. The more people who do, the more it is seen as a problem and the faster they may fix it. Sitting back and waiting is not really an option I am afraid.

Unfortunately the only way round this is to use a DX9 card and not a DX10 card. I could run CMBB/CMAK perfectly in Vista with a 7 series card from Nvidia. So a 7800 etc worked fine. Also, I'm currently able to play CMBB on a laptop with Vista Ultimate using Intel integral VGA, so that works as well. But I couldn't play it all (similar problems you have) with a 8800GTS/8800 GTX and Vista. There's more chance of hell freezing over than to get a fix I'm sure.

I am running CMBB and CMAK with Vista 64, by using the 174.74 beta drivers and setting AA to 4X with override software settings. I have an NVidia 8800GTX 512 memory. The background do NOT get messed up, but scrolling around the map is slower then normal, but does work.

Rune

Yeah other than the blackness in the game, it was pretty slow. New 3d games dont even have high enough settings for me to get them to have low fps. And then some cmbb is slow =) Tried to get that AA thingie to work, but I failed to event find that setting on the nvidia control panel. Gonna search for that harder the next time Im in the mood for getting cmbb to work.

Ah mister Rune, you be my hero. Took some time to find that place to set those settings, but the blackness has and is gone and away. Pretty damnably slow thou, with this being one hard arse machine. No matter if its a 300 point open field with all trees and such set to none, or 5000 point game with extreme trees etc, always slow. Guess one cant make it scroll faster =/ And the one second lag in mouse clics, thats annoying as hell.

All right now Im making funny sounds here =D Whatever the hell that means. Ok so the game is very laggy now with the 2x(and 4x) antialiasing. One thing I noticed thou, was that when I select an enemy unit, then the game scrolls around the map smoothly and there is no lag at all. Units move smoothly and such. Works like it should.

But once I select my own unit(or no unit at all), the lagging and frustratingly slow scrolling is back. Rune, you noticed this?

Maybe has to do with the info screen at the bottom of the screen? I mean when it shows the enemy unit, theres not much texts. But with your own unit, there is alot more text. Or with the 'terrain info', theres also a lot of text. Cant be that...

What the heck could do that? Graphic or other causing that? Suggestions for that?

Hrmph. Selecting own INFANTRY is extreme slow, but guns and vehicles are just slow.

AA/AT gun selected makes the game slow, but selecting own inf makes it much more slow. Also mg's and tank hunters etc are much more slow, just like infantry. Vehicles are not as slow as inf. Being in command distance of leaders does not affect inf or guns.

Enemy inf and vehicles are always smooth.

Totally weird.