Nelson would be rolling in his grave

Affentitten

Appropriately for a sailor, Nelson was pickled in a cask of brandy and then in a tub of neat spirits tp preserve him for his return to England.

It was pretty unknown at the time for naval casualties to be returned home, for obvious reasons. In fact during these times dead men were pitched off the side of the ship even in the middle of battle to prevent them becoming obstructions. They weren't even buried per se, but just dumped.

Alcohol is a disinfectant!

My uncle was in the RN at a time where rum was still a daily ration. If a man didn't want his ration, it was publicly tipped down the sink, to prevent hoarding and corruption by the QM.

My uncle and his mate managed to get the drain grate off behind the store and tied a jam tin under the drain pipe to collect these emissions. Also not for the squeamish to drink stuff that's flowed down a few metres of Victorian era drainage!

My uncle was in the RN at a time where rum was still a daily ration. If a man didn't want his ration, it was publicly tipped down the sink, to prevent hoarding and corruption by the QM.

Huh. So was my grandfather, except in his case he was able to get a supplement to his pay in lieu of the rum ration.

It seems prize money might have been abolished in the RN in 1946, and Salvage payments substituted (see 1946) - RN ships could apparently involved in salvage operations at least as late as 1964 and earn salvage for their crews. An article about Prize Money "Customs and Traditions of the Royal Navy" about 80% down this page says the decision to no longer award prize money after WW2 was supported by the dominions

there is a question on this page which reads:

240. What do you know about Prize Money in the Australian Commonwealth?

- but no answer is given that I can see!! :(

Some RAAF crew applied to get prize money at the end of WW2, but the Govt decided that the amount given by the Brits to cover the whole Australian Armed forces would only give a paltry amount per person, so decided to keep it for:

the "provision of a residence or residences in which the former male members of the RAAF who were in necessitous circumstances and, if the trust approved, the wives of those members, might be accommodated or supported".
- RAAF prize money article

According to wiki the RAF was added in 1945 for any action where it took part in the capture of a ship too.

India had a "Naval and Aircraft prize Act 1971", New Zealand had the "Prize Act 1939" - no idea if they are still in force. The NZ one was jsut a copy of the British/Imperial one

• 2 weeks later...

Affentitten,

My dad and his buddies used to make "raisin jack" in an emptied out soda acid fire extinguisher during the Korean War while on the U.S.S. Passig, a Fleet distiller. Okay, water distiller. Had this been discovered, he'd never have made ET1 in four years. Electronics Technician, First Class is the technical equivalent of a PO1, Petty Officer, First Class.

Regards,

John Kettler