Bug report

Demo, training scen, played as US vs AI, WEGO

D'led the demo from eprison and gamershell. Installed from both sources. Identical behaviour.

Specs: Pentium 4, 1.8GHz, Nvidia GeForce2 MX, 64 MB.

US side:

I only get floating icons for the tanks - and anything in the second floor. Triangles on upper screen edge only for anything with floating icons. I can only group select (shift/click + drag) units with floating icons.

Example: 4th plt HQ in the upper floor has a floating icon, MG besides it gets one. MG moves forward, leaving upper floor and floating icon vanishes.

And I don't see any inf in the open. I see the start of their movement path if they have any. But that's it.

German side:

Hmmm.... Pretty sure I got a floating icon for a inf unit not in the upper floor.

No floating icons/triangles or crews for a gun and a MG. I see the weapon, I even see the gun recoil - but that's it.

"Shadows off" solves the problem.

Demo, training scen, played as US vs AI, WEGO

D'led the demo from eprison and gamershell. Installed from both sources. Identical behaviour.

Specs: Pentium 4, 1.8GHz, Nvidia GeForce2 MX, 64 MB.

US side:

I only get floating icons for the tanks - and anything in the second floor. Triangles on upper screen edge only for anything with floating icons. I can only group select (shift/click + drag) units with floating icons.

Example: 4th plt HQ in the upper floor has a floating icon, MG besides it gets one. MG moves forward, leaving upper floor and floating icon vanishes.

And I don't see any inf in the open. I see the start of their movement path if they have any. But that's it.

German side:

Hmmm.... Pretty sure I got a floating icon for a inf unit not in the upper floor.

No floating icons/triangles or crews for a gun and a MG. I see the weapon, I even see the gun recoil - but that's it.

"Shadows off" solves the problem.

Uhm, this is a serious bug report? That pc is ancient by any standard, it's at least 10 years old :') I don't think thát kind of videocard is supported by the new engine anymore. It's what, a DX6 card?

Did you ever try to play SF on that rig? I suspect you'd see the same behaviour to be honest

As you might already be aware, your system specs are seriously below what is required for the game. Specifically the GeForce 2 MX w/ 64MB of VRAM. The GeForce 2 MX only supports up to OpenGL 1.2, which is pretty borderline for working with CMx2 games like CMBN and CMSF.

Thanks for the tip about 'turning off shadows'. That has worked in the past when the infantry figures are missing.

As you might already be aware, your system specs are seriously below what is required for the game. Specifically the GeForce 2 MX w/ 64MB of VRAM. The GeForce 2 MX only supports up to OpenGL 1.2, which is pretty borderline for working with CMx2 games like CMBN and CMSF.

Thanks for the tip about 'turning off shadows'. That has worked in the past when the infantry figures are missing.

His bug report must be a satire.

Very dry indeed.

Dunno the age of that PC. But it still runs XP and I remember it ran on w98 not that long ago...

But hey, it is near but above the minimum specs ( http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&Itemid=26&category_id=36&product_id=280

Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 (32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL
and actually it even runs with DX9. Still wouldn't play "To the Volga" on it. But apart from that it is the PC that runs CMBB fine - no graphics glitches. My newer PC in the other apartment has graphics glitches. Which made the old rig a keeper ;)

Dunno the age of that PC. But it still runs XP and I remember it ran on w98 not that long ago...

But hey, it is near the minimum specs ( http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&Itemid=26&category_id=36&product_id=280 and actually it even runs with DX9. Still wouldn't play "To the Volga" on it. But apart from that it is the PC that runs CMBB fine - no graphics glitches. My newer PC in the other apartment has graphics glitches. Which made the old rig a keeper ;)

Outdated cards don't run all the DX instructions from newer DX version thát well. They are usually optimised for a specific set of DX instructions and no amount of patching is going to fix that (had the same issue with my 7900GTO which is orders of magnitude more powerful than yours). Simply put, that architecture/supported instruction set is outdated. Your best bet would be a new computer to be honest. Also, I wouldn't adhere to the minimum specs of anything as they are the "piss-poor-gaming-experience" minimum most of the time. All in all, i'd recommend a newer computer over anything else if you want to experience this game somewhat comfortably.

Yeah, but the newer PC won't see me this week. So I checked the system requirements, found that in theory the old one matched each spec (contrary to what Schrullenhaft says ;) ) and tried it. Actually, the game runs fine - with shadows off. I never cared for detailed graphics anyway.

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Win7 Check.

Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor Barely. But: check

Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 (32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL nowhere it mentions OpenGL 1.2, not even DX9. But it has 64MB and supports 1024x768 or higher. So: check!

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card Haven't tested sound yet

System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM hey! I've got more than twice of it! Check!

Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabyte yes

Other Requirements: DVD Drive (not needed for download version)

The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

Yeah, but the newer PC won't see me this week. So I checked the system requirements, found that in theory the old one matched each spec (contrary to what Schrullenhaft says ;) ) and tried it. Actually, the game runs fine - with shadows off. I never cared for detailed graphics anyway.

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Win7 Check.

Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor Barely. But: check

Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 (32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL nowhere it mentions OpenGL 1.2, not even DX9. But it has 64MB and supports 1024x768 or higher. So: check!

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card Haven't tested sound yet

System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM hey! I've got more than twice of it! Check!

Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabyte yes

Other Requirements: DVD Drive (not needed for download version)

The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

Then i suspect that the self casting shadows are part of an instruction set that is simply not compatible with your gfx card. Or rather, your gfx card can't make/doesn't know how to make use of this particular set of DX instructions.

I doubt they listed the 5200 as the lowest spec card supported by mistake. The 5xxx series supports hardware accelerated shadows. I'm guessing the Geforce 2 series does not.

Well, I dunno much about video cards and their specs. VRAM and resolution. That's how I measure them. Once every few years I ask somebody who knows and get me some new equpiment. But not yet, Kameraden, not yet.

And I don't care much about shadows. What I did care was not seeing most of my units - neither them nor the floating icons for them. And I couldn't even select them when selecting an area.

So if anybody else runs CMBN on such outdated equipment (or some laptop with poor video card) and has the same problem - tell him he should toggle shadows.