Carrier Aircraft strikes doesnt feel right

I just got thru with a battle near Hawaii where I was the allies and brought in 3 carriers with 26 points of aircraft to attack a single Japanse BB(not upgraded as far as I can tell). I lost 16 points of aircraft and caused 4 points of dmg.

Previously to this I had lost naval control of the med because my 2 carriers were unusually ineffective versus the BB Andrea Doria, I lost tons of aircraft to the incredibly powerful and famously AA super defensive powerhouse IT Andrea D BB.

In battles around Britain my carriers airstrikes were very ineffective against German surface raiders

I'm pretty new to the game and i had my Carriers set to green dot because I dont understand the settings and reading the manual did not clarify things for me much.

The ineffectiveness of the Carriers is very frustrating, it will cost me a fortune to replace those aircraft. This just doesn't feel right.:confused:

Any thoughts?

PS all my ships keep defaulting to the "R" setting, for raiding, is this messing up my airstrikes?

You can think of the of the green-dot as Fighters because they act identical to them, effecitive for intercepts and better for fighting air based units. Turning the Aircraft to red-dot is very effective verus naval units. It acts much the same as Tactical Bombers, but you can not intercept enemy air strikes. The yellow is a mix of both, so you will be ready for anything but the effectiveness of your attacks is reduced alot. The "R" setting is for raiding enemy convoy lanes. I'm pretty sure the Raiding option is tougher on your supply but it should not be a problem if you are the Americans fighting around Hawaii or the UK in the Mediterranean.

To summarize turn to red to attack navy. Turn green to fight/intercept air units.

You can think of the of the green-dot as Fighters because they act identical to them, effecitive for intercepts and better for fighting air based units. Turning the Aircraft to red-dot is very effective verus naval units. It acts much the same as Tactical Bombers, but you can not intercept enemy air strikes. The yellow is a mix of both, so you will be ready for anything but the effectiveness of your attacks is reduced alot. The "R" setting is for raiding enemy convoy lanes. I'm pretty sure the Raiding option is tougher on your supply but it should not be a problem if you are the Americans fighting around Hawaii or the UK in the Mediterranean.

To summarize turn to red to attack navy. Turn green to fight/intercept air units.

That I can understand.

Ok so would you say my heavy losses and total failure for 3 carriers to have a significant effect on a BB is probably caused by me choosing green?

Planes not carrying torpedoes or bombs are pretty ineffective against the armor of battleships, all they can do is strafe and use cannon.

If attacking a land based army or armor with a red dot carrier, are you utilizing strafing abilities (fighter) or bombing ones (tac bombers)?