EOS-a-thon game videos

jeep

My game was boring. I got 9 food resources the entire game, and only controlled 3 for the last half. I had to keep almost all of my cities producing wealth in order to buy food, and sometimes buy oil to prevent oil shortages,.................and still had shortages.

By the time my opponent and I had to fight, he had a few advancements, while I couldnt afford to put anymoney into research and had basically level 1 units. He had a heck of a lot more units, since I couldnt afford to feed the few I had, much less make any more.

Hopefully the map actually gives me a chance in the second round.

Scott, hopefully you'll get a better one next time. The settings for the next round will definitely be different. We also limited the length to 100 turns, and it sounds like things only started getting interesting for you by then. Do you think we should go with 125 turns (or more?) for the next round?

Actually, in 10 more turns I would have probably been eliminated from the map completely.

BUT, in a more even game, turn 100 would proably be the time it would get really interesting in a 2 player game on a map of this size. I would look at the save from the other games and if they had 3 players, see how it worked out. If we only have 2 players per game, I would suggest making the map a little smaller, and leaving it at 100 turns.

100 turns is just about right as far as time goes. It allows a good amount of time, and can be finished in one sitting. So to allow for more combat to determine the winner I would put the players in a smaller map.

I think it is pretty much esential to have an oil and a couple of food resources (eg +10 oil and +20 food) right next to the starting city or expansion becomes tedious at best and impossible at worst.

Thats why I've found no resources option to be so much fun, its just a unit spamming slugfest, no worrying about your cities starving to death.

My game was boring. I got 9 food resources the entire game, and only controlled 3 for the last half. I had to keep almost all of my cities producing wealth in order to buy food, and sometimes buy oil to prevent oil shortages,.................and still had shortages.

By the time my opponent and I had to fight, he had a few advancements, while I couldnt afford to put anymoney into research and had basically level 1 units. He had a heck of a lot more units, since I couldnt afford to feed the few I had, much less make any more.

Hopefully the map actually gives me a chance in the second round.

That's too bad. To avoid these types of situations, I did some work today on balancing out the resources better on random maps.

I've been setting +20% oil, +30% food and -10% steel on random maps and it seems much better.

Interestingly I've roughly estimated that on some maps there isn't actually enough food in the game world to feed all the neutral cities.

I've been setting +20% oil, +30% food and -10% steel on random maps and it seems much better.

Interestingly I've roughly estimated that on some maps there isn't actually enough food in the game world to feed all the neutral cities.

Hm. I'm wondering if maybe that's due to the fact that city populations grow. The random map generator places resources on the map based on the population of that map. It should be setup so that the total population on the map consumes about 50-55% of the total food on the map. This leaves some excess for units. But, cities grow, and maybe that's the problem.

Hi Guys, from my site the only game file I can download is the first one. 2nd and 3rd link is giving me errors. I don't believe it is due to heavy traffic since I tried quite often the last days and it always these 2 which will not work while the other one does.

Anybody having the same experience?

anton (tntom)

Hi Guys, from my site the only game file I can download is the first one. 2nd and 3rd link is giving me errors. I don't believe it is due to heavy traffic since I tried quite often the last days and it always these 2 which will not work while the other one does.

Anybody having the same experience?

anton (tntom)

File #3 seems to be working now, but File #2 doesn't seem to work.