multiple turrets/multiple crew members

jdevlin

Hi-

I was thinking about land battleships, or superheavies. I may take a crack at designing one because I love them so, for all of their impracticality.

Of course, this brought me to a couple of questions:

1> Can a vehicle have multiple turrets? I know that the Bacchus and the Hermes both have multiple turrets, but thats not quite what I had in mind - rather than one player controlled turret and one automated turret, what about two player controlled turrets? Of course, this brings up the issue of control...

2> Are there any plans for vehicles with multiple human crew? I can't imagine that it would be very easy to do - there is no persistent human avatar per player like in Battlefield 2.

One option is to allow the player to switch between player controlled weapons as we do normally now, using the r key - for example, the act of switching between weapons has the effect of disabling one turret and activating another.

This would have the effect of making a single-crew, multi-turreted vehicle far less dangerous than the multi-crewed, multi-turreted vehicle, so maybe it isnt a preferable solution.

-Joe

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

As for 2, yes. Actually, the ability to act as someone else's gunner is already there but we hadn't planned on releasing it before the ww2 mod. If there's interest, we can go ahead and let it out.

I think this would be super, especially if I can get Montard* to be my gunner while I drive in an intelligent manner.

Yes, only half-joking. I can't hit the broad side of a barn on the move, but the bots certainly can. On the other hand, they can be a bit ... single-minded.

• 2 months later...

I'd be interested to know whether anyone has tried to build an OGRE type tank yet? I would love to see a Superheavy packing a 230mm main turret (maybe with limited range of motion), four corner-mounted 90mm bot turrets (which could be independently damaged), two SAM bot units for air suppression and two anti-air guns for anti ATGM suppression. There was a fair bit of discussion about heavies but I've yet to see one I can play with?

I'd be up for trying my hand at one, but I want to get my air unit into the game before I spend time making other models.

Oh, and that would be one serious beast to take down. With the corresponding armor values for it, I doubt anything but beam weapons and 120mm would even scratch it. Sounds fun.

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

I'd be interested to know whether anyone has tried to build an OGRE type tank yet? I would love to see a Superheavy packing a 230mm main turret (maybe with limited range of motion), four corner-mounted 90mm bot turrets (which could be independently damaged), two SAM bot units for air suppression and two anti-air guns for anti ATGM suppression. There was a fair bit of discussion about heavies but I've yet to see one I can play with?

I am patiently awaiting the Ogre version to come out as well...among other things!

Maybe the Ogre should be multi-player capable...that team's commander drives, calls for arty, employs the main gun, etc..while other players man the other turrets. The Ogre may even have some other deployables such as robotic fighting vehicles of various types, whatever, that can be player controlled.

That way maybe a more dynamic game with entirely different sets of equipment could be facing each other..the DT versus the Ogre and its limited inventory of new equipment.

Just a thought.

I think it'd be cool if the ogre had 4-6 some little "swarm" unmanned armored flying vehicles that could be used to scout/harass/lure

maybe with a small calibre .223 or .50 weapon on it for anti infantry /harassment

LOS would be a big issue to overcome with one whole side being fixed to the ogre, so it'd be nice to get some added vantage point.. unless it's superior abilities included extremely powerful sensors that could pierce the EW shroud at close enough range.

IIRC Clay said the OGRE wouldn't come and I have to say I wouldn't miss it much. Why? Because the game would be very simple: because its armour is too high to penetrate from afar and its too well armed to get close, you had to pepper it with ion so long until the armour is weak enough and then kill it with 120mm/ATGM/arty.

So for the attacking team it would be hide and seak with ions behind hills and for the OGRE it would be 'spot the ion' behind hills etc... Does not sound like fun.

OTOH a tank that is beyond the Thor but still killable by normal means would be a nice addition to the game. Especially when we can do asymmetric inventories and have scenarios with hight-tech vs. low-tech for instance. I'm all for that.

Pimping a Thor to get close to what Toby wrote should be moddable (except new 3D model currently) although I"m not sure about the multi-turret thing. I remember Clay saying that there is a bug with multi-turrets. Don't know if its fixed.

Tanks can currently have one manual turret with multiple weapons (Thor 120mm plus coax 20mm). Some vehicles have two separate non-coaxial weapon systems (Paladin EWV and SAM units) where I assume that the second weapon system is a bot running autonomously. I've not pulled the XML apart for the vehicles to see what ticks - until recently I've been concentrating on scenarios.

Right now, I'm working on improving my modelling skills to try and realise some of my ideas for the next scenario. Particularly, I'm trying to work on building high poly objects and then baking the details (texturing, ambient occlusion, etc) into a low-poly mesh. This is similar to the process for the Doom-3 models but without the tangent mappings (although if DropTeam ever supports them, I'd have that option).

I'd be happy to knock a tank model together but I know there are already some examples out there. If any tank developed by the community makes it to a playable state, PLEASE would someone write it ALL up on the wiki so that those of us who follow on can learn from the process. I've looked at this page on the wiki but clearly there is more to getting a finished vehicle.

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/Designing_3D_Elements

If a tank can have multiple crew members...

The ogre gametype could be that one team gets x number of Ogre tanks, each crewed by, say, 2 people. One drives, and operates a machine gun, the other mans the 200 mm gun.

The other team gets regular forces, and the goal is to wipe out all of the enemy team's ogre tanks.

As for the tank developing-> Me and Posel are working on it, but it's difficult. We aren't entirely sure what steps are necessary yet. As soon as we have something working, we'll put it up.