Nvidia 6600 gt question

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All rightness, people, here is how to do the test, lets try to cons up some test cases.

Download the following zipfile.

Unpack. It will overwrite your prefs file (so that we all run at 1024x768) and BMP 674 and it has a new scenario.

Unpack, then

</font>

• start CMAK</font>
  • Editor</font>
  • Load anisotropic-test.cmg</font>
  • go into map->preview</font>
  • make screenshot and post here</font>

Repeat for differen AA/AF settings and drivers.

http://redwolf.dyndns.org/tmp/cmak-anisotropic-test.zip

[ February 21, 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

ARGH!

Removing the NVidia drivers also removed the network drivers for my onboard card for NVidia chipset ethernet!

I HATE Windows. How can people accept bull**** like this?

EDIT: not only that, while it still sees my PCI ethernet card it won't let me confire TCP/IP on it. Clicking on the reported as installed, active and enabled PCI card driver says I need to install a network card first.

EDIT: so now I manually copied the mainboard drivers over. However, I don't have the video drivers installed, so I am at 640x480. One of the mainboard driver dialog boxes has a knob outside of 640x480, and no way to move it. I have to abort the partial installation and repeat after I have the video drivers installed. Windoze... hopeless.gif

[ February 21, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

New 67.66 drivers, AA and AF turned on.

As you see, no change toward the old drivers.

And this after the trouble. The change (with deinstallation of the old drivers) also wiped out all my application profiles. This never happens on Linux. Oh well, you knew I would say that, did you? smile.gif

anitest05-aa-af-67.66.png

[ February 21, 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

Ouch. That's wrong on many different levels. :(

The NVidia drivers aren't even applying Aniso, are they? Might it be disabled for 16-bit games? BTW, you didn't take a pick with just aniso (no AA).

Some pics from my Radeon 8500LE (they're jpgs, but close enough to get the idea).

No Aniso, no AA

16x Aniso, no AA

16x Aniso, 2xAA

16x Aniso, 4xAA

no Aniso, 4xAA

2xAA is playable at 1024x768, but is pushing it at any higher res (I play at 1280x960). 4xAA is unusable even at 1024.

- Chris

Also note: in my very first two screeshots at the top of this page, how AA (not AF) clearly applies to the epilipses in front, but has few if any effect on the red lines running from the front to the rear, at the bigger distances, both for NVidia and ATI.

Only your 4GRSS does anything about that particular distortion.

I want GF 4 and GF FX 5x00 results!

Last one for today.

Back to highest AA and AF, but turn on all optimizations (faster but worse image quality):

- trilinear opt

- anisotropic mip filter opt

- anisotropic sample opt

All on but there is no degration in image quality.

anitest08-aa-af-fm-clamp-allopt-67.66.png

Same picture pixel-by-pixel if I get that correctly.

Something is odd here, CM is doing something that the NVidia drivers do not expect and larger parts of this cards are just disabled.

• 1 month later...