Soviet AT

Looking at the end of game map, I clearly drove poorly to hit so many mines - and you placed them well.

The KOed Tiger got 2 T-34s and 8 infantry. Wittman got 2 guns and 18 infantry. The remaining Tigers got 16 and 6 respectively.

The best Pz IV got a T-34 and a gun, and 3 infantry, and the second best got 2 guns and 5 infantry. But the other 6 were KOed by guns or mines without scoring. Clearly, they are highly vulnerable advancing into this sort of gun front.

The "infantry" that held on my right was mostly leftovers - KOed ATRs, routed Maxims, an HQ, teams left from KOed guns, etc. Only one split squad of actual infantry. They got supporting fire from their right rear, but still a weak position the German infantry should have been able to reduce. Apparently I hit them quite sloppily, to get so many men pinned at the treeline by such weak units.

The Russians had 12 ATRs, which account for the lousy time of it the numerous German SPWs had. Plus 6 tank hunters. In addition to getting one Tiger, both combined drew an enourmous amount of fire, given the preference of tanks to shoot at "anti tank teams" whenever they can see one.

The overall manpower discrepancy is also noticable - 234 men attacking 315. Generally the attackers expect even numbers and better equipment, although for Kursk some Russian superiority is reasonable enough. In reality it mostly came from layering - the same Germans had to fight 2-4 positions each 2/3rds to equal to their own numbers.

The Russians had one 57mm ATG, potentially dangerous to the Tigers. But it was KOed by air without getting shots off.

Overall, I'd rate my performance as poor, particularly in the mine avoiding category, also in not getting the SPWs back into cover. You used the AT mines well, unmasked the guns with good sight pictures. (Bit gamey on the sloped placement of the 76mms but you'd mostly won the minute those unmasked anyway). Only the tanks failed to get you something.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...