Death of The Scenario Depot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

As far as I'm aware there are three possible offers of a "one stop home" for scenarios being seriously considered:

1. The Proving Grounds

(using GJK's existing server and design/implementation)

2. CMMODS

3. The Proving Grounds (using gregories.net server with Cpl Carrot design/implementation)

I'm willing to work with Cpl Carrot to make #3 happen, but neither of us want to waste our effort if 1 or 2 or something else is going to happen.

What's the status of everyone's plans?

Ta,

GaJ

I've replied to Martin's kind offer via email, but I'll summarize here for the group - the server that hosts *my* version of a scenario depot must be running WebDNA (LINK) which is a pretty obscure programming language. My host obviously does - but I doubt highly that GaJ's does. So option #3 wouldn't work with a TPG overlay design.

Somebody could do it using PHP/MySQL which is on about every server in the world....

But, do a WHOIS for www.the-scenario-depot.com. I'm thinking on it, thinking.....k. smile.gif

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

3. The Proving Grounds (using gregories.net server with Cpl Carrot design/implementation)

I'm willing to work with Cpl Carrot to make #3 happen, but neither of us want to waste our effort if 1 or 2 or something else is going to happen.

I totally agree. No sense in having duplicate efforts. I vote for #3, if it can have all the features, or I'll build one for you guys.

Which is exactly why someone should post Bruce's CMAK and CMBO collections to CMMODS...just in case.

Possibly... but it won't be me. I respect the fact that you're doing something about a catastrophe but I'm not going to post other peoples work to a public site due to ethical and moral implications expressed by people here, even though I have no issue with it.

Don't get me wrong, I ain't bagging you for it and I personally have NO judgemental opinion of it with regards to it because you've clearly done it with the best intentions. I want to see everyones work back out there. It's good for the whole community and I respect the fact that you are taking action.

I'm pushing in the direction of someone producing a permanent alternative to what was The Depot ASAP.

But like I said, I respect the fact that you've acted!

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

I totally agree. No sense in having duplicate efforts. I vote for #3, if it can have all the features, or I'll build one for you guys. </font>

Guys,

Here's where it's at:

- All the scenarios have been (are being?) posted at CMMODS in big zip files one per game type. So in the interim they are at least available. It's not as if "nothing is happening and everyone is waiting for everyone else".

- The offer from Cpl Carrot & I to build a site on gregories.net is open. However

- Garry (GJK) has told me that he's planning to implement a "scenario depot" at TPG... the only question being whether he can find the time in amongst real life demands.

My opinion is that if Gary builds something at TPG, integrated with TPG, it will be better than in Cpl Carrot & I make a new site. So my plan is to wait to see if Gary can pull it off in the near future. If the demands of his job don't seem to be allowing that in a "reasonable amount of time" then I would reassess.

GaJ.

Guys, as I just posted at TPG:

Not exactly sure what the plans are at this point. I'm this close | | to going ahead and start putting something together for a new site. My hang-up is that I have my hand in too many fires at the moment, but I can start putting a new site together a little here and there - if the CM can be patient enough to let me do that.

I think that COG can put a site together as well - perhaps more rapidly than I can at this point as the program that he uses seems to be templated a bit and mine is written by hand, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe we should have a final vote over at BFC to see what it is the people want? Maybe there's other options? I'm willing and able, there just might be a delay of a number of weeks before I can get it up and functioning (the site that is silly boy ).

I'm up for a big vote at BFC, I'd be curious to see what folks vote/say about it. So far, the one thread in the "scenarios" section has generated a number of posts from the same 10 people or so - not a large sampling of the community. I wish that their forum had the "poll" feature - hey, Gyrenes forum does I believe, maybe we should do a vote there? Anybody?

So maybe we can get all those interested in making "the" site submit their proposals to a thread at Gyrene's - what they can have the site do, how it would function, etc. and then we let the community vote. I think this should be a big push to generate a large turnout on the vote. To be honest, if 15 people vote for the site and for the rest it falls on deaf ears, I'm not going to be that motivated to bust butt to code a new site - to be brutally honest.

My thoughts at least. :D

I'm already voting for TPG to take over. 80% of the stuff is already there. About the only thing missing is the voting. I'm so busy right now that it would probably be mid to late Sept before I could get anything produced.

I threw my hat in the ring more as a last resort. I'll do it, but I'm hoping someone else will come up with a solution first. After looking at TPG's scenario collection, I think it's the way to go.

Make it happen Gary.

I'm like COG. My offer is here as another last resort. If TPG can take it, that's the best solution.

So clearly now what we need is to give Gary some indication of community support.

The slight catch is getting anyone from here to go somewhere else to vote ... its a fact of life that "voter turnout" is hard to get.

Still, let's give it a shot. If someone hasn't already (I'm just about to go looking) I'll set up a poll...

GaJ.

I've realised there's a twist.

The sentiment here is "Gary - we have faith in what you would build, please just go for it".

IE we don't really need competeting proposals about what it would have and how it would be run because we're pretty confident we'd like what you would do.

So the only point in setting up a poll is to get an indication of what the demand for the service is. If 10 people are going to use it, it's not worth building, just email them the scenarios. If 100 people are going to use it then it's worth building.

Right?

(The alternative is to open up the can of worms about what features the Scenario Depot should have: I really really think that this would just delay us getting anything without ever finding any concensus! Better to have some benevolent dictator determine what it will have and get on with it!)

Sooo.... I'm going to start yet another thread here (!!) looking for expressions of support for building a new one. I will also do the same at WeBoB where members can respond to a poll.

GaJ.

Hi Everyone!

Philippe, has gone ahead and posted the CMBB Scenario's and Operations at CMMOD, I just finished uploading the CMAK Scenario's and Ops. So they are also available at the web site. CMBO will have to be done another night, as having connection problems tonight with the darn router... About to give it a swift boot...

This is kinda old, but may be useful:

Wayback Machine for SD

this is the 04/04/04 link from here:

Wayback Machine results for SD

Maybe the backup is more recent, but maybe not.

Files are not there, but the text is. One could use a Website DL app (Sitesucker for Mac) and pull the html down, and it could then be worked locally.

My .02 of assistance.