...and I thought I'd never do an armor mod!

I guess I should be working on finishing the Jeep. BTW, it now has a bridging disc for the commonwealth version, as well as an optional Brit. Airborne Pegasus badge. No screenies just yet.

Now, where was I. Oh, the armor mod. I got sidetracked and have been working on this:

hetzer1.jpg

hetzer2.jpg

hetzer3.jpg

hetzer4.jpg

But I'm sure the last thing anyone wants is a new hi-res Hetzer mod tongue.gif

There are a couple nice ones out there that I've been using, but they are either lo-re or just kind of stand out too much among all the other mods I currently use. So (again) I made my own.

It's not done yet, hence the pink spots, absence of dirt/wear, and lack of excruciating detail. :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Egads, a Hi-res Hetzer...Why would we want that? ;)

Looks nice, looking forward to the final version.

Have fun with the Pink Pixel Hunt™!

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

I think I finally figured out a way to make the PPH™ easier. smile.gif Since Photoshop wants to antialias everything and blends the pink into the other colors, I've found that working on the BMPs themselves with the non-atialiasing pencil tool works pretty well to fill in pink areas with solid blocks of color.

The way I conduct my own PPH™ is with the magic wand tool.

I make a bottom most layer with the 255,0,255 then when I'm ready to flatten the image for the final I turn off the visibilty for the pink layer, then I "Merge visible" in the layer menu; this keeps all merge modes and layer effects looking like they should (When compared to Merge Down).

After that I resize the picture to the final size (For 512x512 bmp's I use 1024x1024 originals), make the pink layer visible and then flatten the image. This still leaves the dreaded Wrong Shade Pink Pixels™, but not as many as if I had resized the flattened image.

I then set the background color to 255,0,255 and the magic wand to tolerance 30 and no boxes checked. From there I just zoom in very close and click and delete the offending pixels.

It works very well and fast for terrain bmp's, but for detail work your pixel pencil method may be more accurate.

I've played around with the Defringe & the Remove Matting options, but they haven't done much for me yet.

Gyrene

The best I've been able to come up with so far is to use the "Color Range..." tool with the Fuzziness set to 0. Click one of the main color (i.e. the most widespread) and then shift-click on the remaining "off" colors. This is faster than the magic wand. It also works better if you are zoomed in pretty far.

Once you've selected everything, you should be able to fill/delete or whatever without getting antialiasing problems.

The trick seems to be the Fuzziness setting. If you set it to something other than zero, you'll select colors more effectively. However, doing this also means that delete/fill/etc end up causing anti-aliasing. Yuck. At least that's how it all seems in Photoshop 5.0.2.

I was fighting with this quite extensively the other day when I took a high-res mod and made it lo-res (limited space, good looking mod but over sized imho). I didn't figure this out then, but I decided to do some playing just now to see if I could find a solution.

Also, if you need to use an eraser tool that doesn't anti-alias, the "Block" eraser works well.

Anyway, hope someone can use this info and/or refine it to be more accurate/comprehensive.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Cameroon ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I find it ironic that the uniform of your tank commander is horrifyingly bad, Andrew. When do panzer uniforms get the Fox treatment?

The vehicle is stunning, as always.<hr></blockquote>

Geez, Michael, I did the Panzer uniforms months ago--avaiable at the usual spots. The "horrifyingly bad" one in the picture is the Heer fieldgray assault gun crew uniform that comes with the set.

Now you've hurt my feelings, *sniff*. :( Thanks a lot.

I've handled original assault gun tunics - they are my favorite uniform - but I haven't seen any in slate grey, they were always the greener shade of field grey. Not to say the slate grey wool was never used, but the green is so much nicer. I will have to track down your panzer uniforms; I've been looking for a decent mod for these.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I've handled original assault gun tunics - they are my favorite uniform - but I haven't seen any in slate grey, they were always the greener shade of field grey. Not to say the slate grey wool was never used, but the green is so much nicer. I will have to track down your panzer uniforms; I've been looking for a decent mod for these.<hr></blockquote>

Hmm. I can try to green it up a bit. I sampled the cloth texture off of a phot o of an original Waffen-SS uniform culled from the Web, so the color may be off for one of several reasons.

The set of Panzer uniforms has bsic black for W-SS and Heer, U-Boot leathers, 44-dot camo, and the "horrifyingly bad" gray for W-SS/Heer. The camo and gray look pretty strange out of the tank, but overall pretty good with just the commander's torso sticking out of the hatch.

Thanks Gyrene, I can't find the mod on Manx's old site but maybe it'll get a mention on the re-vamped CMHQ.

I'll have a good look around as these ultra-low-res things are on the map throughout the duration, and ought to be looking as good as the rest of the map does nowadays (thanks to you mod guys). Heck, if anyone knows the .bmp number I might attempt my own first mod, which in view of my artistic capabilities may actually turn out to be worse.

Sorry for sidelining the thread Andrew!

Hey Andrew, have you considered doing a Churchill or Tiger mod? I know there are several Tiger 1 mods already but I still haven't seen one that matches the level of detail that Mad Dog's Pack's version has. I would love to see the Tiger get the uniform treatment. The Churchill seems to be unloved in comparison in terms of mod treatment. I'm still stuck using the stock texture for the slow moving bear.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>The Churchill seems to be unloved in comparison in terms of mod treatment. I'm still stuck using the stock texture for the slow moving bear. <hr></blockquote>

Commissar, have you seen Feldgrau's Churchill mods? They would easily rank on the Top 10 All Time Best Armor Mods List™ in my opinion...If there was such a list. :D

Seriously, they're Freakin' Awesome, you can get them at Manx's site.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Commissar, have you seen Feldgrau's Churchill mods? They would easily rank on the Top 10 All Time Best Armor Mods List™ in my opinion...If there was such a list. :D

Seriously, they're Freakin' Awesome, you can get them at Manx's site.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

I checked the site but there is no author named "Feldgrau" listed. The only Churchill mod is by Tiger

--Nix that. I see it now. My fingers are crossed.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]</p>

Feldgrau's Churchills are superb! I'm trying to avoid making mods for vehicles that are already the way l like them, such as the Churchill, Fernando's half-tracks and Pz IVs, and Marco's/Gordon's US tanks.

The Tiger I is a candidate for modding, though. There are a lot of pretty good ones out there, but I'm still looking for the one that's up to the level of, say, Fernando's new Panthers. I'm still using the MDMP1 hi-res mod, which looks pretty good.

Manx: Yeah, thanks. I was able to find it before though once I checked the mainpage.

Andrew: I have to agree. Despite several Tiger 1 mods, I can't say that I really liked any of them except the Mad Dog Pack's version. If someone could do to the Tiger what Fernando has done to German half-tracks and the PzIV that would be excellent. Adding some Das Reich symbols would also be a nice plus.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JAK:

Hi all,

I know this is kinda ot, but are CMMOS mod packs useable without CMMOS? Is there some kinda wierd way that CMMOS unzips the BMP's or can I do things the "archaic way" tongue.gif

Thanx,

Jake<hr></blockquote>

Sure, but you'll have to rename the files you want to the appropriate name and if you wanted to change a graphic because of this or that marking you'd have to rename and replace that graphic as well. Personally, I really don't care enough to use CMMOS since it doesn't matter to me whether a Jeep has the proper American or Brit markings. I am usually the Germans, Waffen-SS and it'll be toast anyway ^_^.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Commissar:

Sure, but you'll have to rename the files you want to the appropriate name and if you wanted to change a graphic because of this or that marking you'd have to rename and replace that graphic as well. Personally, I really don't care enough to use CMMOS since it doesn't matter to me whether a Jeep has the proper American or Brit markings. I am usually the Germans, Waffen-SS and it'll be toast anyway ^_^.<hr></blockquote>

I agree the download process of CMMOS can be confusing for some people Commisar - if you need assistance.p, don't be too embarrassed to ask. We're all here to help.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shatter:

Andrew, you got any time frame on when your new Hetzer will be done.

The one Tom just released is nice, but from the picks you posted your looks a little better.

Thanks for any info in advance

Shatter<hr></blockquote>

Oh, it's coming along just fine! Expect updated screen shots on the forum tonight!

:cool: