IT response to CM2 not running on new Win 10 machine

Erwin

I don't post this to insult anyone, but I have spent money on professional IT help over the past weeks trying to get CM2 to run on my new machine and even my IT have given up trying to figure out the problem - it's been frustrating to put it mildly.  Here is the last message I received regarding the issues:

"...I personally believe, that the sims are faulty, or I should say badly programmed, out-of-date. It seems that these guys stopped developing their apps 10 years go (Win7), and have then just tweaked their software to barely accommodate Windows 10 since.

I don’t know these companies, how big they are, and what resources they have on hand. It’s very hard to keep up with the major Windows updates twice a year, and the ever growing array of technology, like chipsets, CPU’s and graphic adapters...

...I bet, that they know exactly what’s going on, but they cannot, or are not willing to fix it, because of the developing costs.  I recall, when Windows 10 came out, even big players like Fedex, UPS and Banking Institutions, were struggling to get their software running. But these companies spend the resources and re-programmed their stuff, although it took a long time."

It's become crazy how much work and $ has been spent on getting a simple game to run on a new vanilla Win 10 machine.  It could be that as more and more folks start upgrading their systems they are going to run into this problem as well.  So, perhaps this is a harbinger of things to come(?).  

Erwin, I honestly feel your pain.  However, I installed RT and BN Bundle on a fairly new Win10 'gaming' laptop (Asus GL702VM) recently and have not had any issues.  Luck, possibly.  Types of hardware involved, possibly.  Anyway, I know this isn't helping you and I hope you get sorted somehow!

Edited by Vacilllator

I've installed all of the CM series on multiple computers with Windows 10 (from version 1607 to 2004) and I haven't run into a problem like yours at all. I personally haven't used Windows Defender on a Windows 10 computer in quite awhile, but that is the closest I can come to guessing the culprit in the issue that you've experienced. I don't know why AVG didn't work for you. I've typically used Avast and haven't run into any issues.

For a game like CM there really isn't much that would need to be done in order to run it on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7. The CM series are fairly monolithic applications that aren't highly dependent on the OS for their functionality (it is dependent on other libraries such as Qt). OpenGL works the same on Windows 10 and Windows 7, but that really is in the hands of the developers of the video drivers rather than Microsoft and Windows. There's no major handicap that CM is running with on Windows 10 and there's no major re-engineering that is necessary specifically for Windows 10 and CM. While CM uses the OpenGL 2.x API for its graphics, there's really no change that Battlefront needs to make to in order for it to run on Windows 10 and with newer hardware (as long as the video drivers don't stop supporting OpenGL 2.x calls). The copy-protection system is what could possibly trip up most users, but it has been fairly benign and worked in the vast majority of situations. The only issue in regards to Windows 10 was with CMBN 1.x. In that case the copy-protection system wasn't compatible, but an update to the copy-protection system that was part of the CMBN 2.0 Upgrade resolved that situation (I believe the 2.0 Upgrade came out BEFORE Windows 10).

I don't believe your issue is a forebearer of problems to come with CM and Windows 10. Admittedly my installs of CM on Windows 10 v. 2004 were in place with an earlier version of Windows before an upgrade of the OS to version 2004. I've typically had Avast installed before CM was installed on my Windows 10 computers (though I don't see that as a significant issue to your situation). My installations have typically gone to their default locations and I've had administrator-level privileges during installation and running of the games. Typically an installation to a custom directory should be a bit simpler since those aren't managed and protected by Windows (such as 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)', but if a custom directory hasn't worked, perhaps trying a default one and seeing how that works out.

12 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I personally haven't used Windows Defender on a Windows 10 computer in quite awhile, but that is the closest I can come to guessing the culprit in the issue that you've experienced

FWIW I'm using Defender (or at least whatever the Microsoft protection is called these days) here with no problems...

Edited by Vacilllator

Only a few users have reported problems with Windows Defender. Most users haven't had a probelm, but one user who was having issues with CM was able to run all of the CM games by installing a different anti-virus program other than Windows Defender. I don't know if such a situation applied to Erwin's case or not, but it seemed likely since he was running a fairly clean installation of Windows 10 supposedly.