AD A Bradley Speedbump

Erwin

Was wondering if anyone has succeeded in one of these small "AD" scenarios.  I could not figure out how to win in the above one.  It's one of those situations that if the Russians had artillery (as one assumes they always would have) it would be easy.  But, I found it impossible to find locations to pour direct fire on the US in foxholes with a couple Javelin teams and a Bradley, without getting massacred.

I know this one and like it very much! I tried several times. My most successful way is through orchard. 

I went through orchard slowly to small houses at the crossroads and bridge - lets say diagonal way from middle of orchard. From small houses I could observe the village and spot Bradley. Then I used one BTR to move there in their footprints and used smoke to hide the vision for US troops. Fast move on the other side of stream with all my other troops and tanks. I was hidden in this valley and safe. I spread troops and vehicles evenly from very left to the right where small houses are. Then I just send my troops all of them in one big line and they advanced slowly forward. Some troops advance, some overwatch. When we came to the fence, fire started. Troops spotted foxholes and I throw smoke there to hide enemy vision and just decimated rest of troops who try to fire at us. When you are too close your infantry will identify positions of enemy and also bring them under fire. You are then free to send to use BTR autocannons. I always smoke to cover our advance. When you get to next houses you can see troops other side of valley and concentrate fire on them. Good way is to push through left side to get higher ground.

What was very important is to find they Bradley at the beginning. I killed Bradley with tank, but one time also with RPG. Breadley death - no Javelin can stop you, you are too close.

At very first time I tried the highway but was decimated. But if you combine speed with smoke you can get you tank fast to small forest and the other side of map. From behind with shoot and scoot you can direct fire on identified foxholes just to be sure and open way for infantry from orchard. But the timing of smoke is difficult to do correctly. Javs need something like 15 second to lock so it can be done, but its really hard.

Just my way of winning it. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

I went through orchard slowly to small houses at the crossroads and bridge - lets say diagonal way from middle of orchard. From small houses I could observe the village and spot Bradley.

That is also what I did.  But, I found my guys got stuck at the small buildings just before the river.  An MG pinned the whole recon platoon down there.  I brought up a BTR but the autocannon didn't seem to have much effect on the foxholed MG.  The Javelin team in the foxhole a few meters behind the MG then killed the BTR.

So, I thought, "Russian tactic is to move in force".  So I brought up both tanks and all the BTR's and tried to advance across the open ground from the woods at the map edge Area Firing at all the foxholes and also at the known position of the Bradley.  The tanks were good at killing inf in foxholes, but not the BTR's.  I guess I didn't shoot at the right foxholes as the 2nd Jav team eventually killed both tanks. 

I also had at least three BTR's area firing at the known Bradley location figuring I could kill it or at least degrade it.  But, the Bradley and/or the remaining Jav team killed all of the BTR's.  I tried moving the inf at that time, but of course they got shot to hell.  Since the wind is blowing in the "wrong" direction, I found smoke wasn't useful.

Based on your comments I wonder if there are alternative set-ups and I stumbled on a nasty one(?).  

When I CF'd and examined the Bradley, it was completely unaffected by all of the BTR fire(!)  Also, while the MG and nearby Jav team were dead, all the other inf were 90%+ intact.  BTR fire seemed ineffective.  :(

If the Russians had artillery this would have been fairly straightforward of course.  

That's weird , BTR has Airburst HE, it should be able to cause some damage to the Inf in the foxhole

Yes, it is a very very hard scenario. You have very limit resource and limit option. Sending the tanks lead the charge will guarantee a firework caused by Jav. Make the BTR go first , they will be destroyed by either Jav or 25mm autocannon. Sending Inf first is the best option, but you got to be very careful about terrain. With even one tiny mistake they will be cut down by 25mm , MG and XM25.

I took the dirt road, 1st Plt took the dirt road that directly goes to the village, recon plt went through orchard. After ID Bradley's position, 1st Plt halt, Plt leader share the information with every T-72 and BTR. Then around Turn 20, I have all AFVs leap forward a short distance from 3 different position, all pointing to the Bradley. Bradley took 2-3 30mm and reverse. That is a good thing and bad thing. AI won't send AFV back to pervious position so that gives my Inf freedom to move. But I lost a very good chance to kill Bradley. Anyway during the fire fight, I lost two BTR in the fire fight but able to ID one Jav team . Area fire next turn guarantee that Jav team is out of action.

Then I reverse all AFV back, took the dirt road through orchard. My battle formation fully deployed at wheat field, Inf cross the dry riverbed and take the village building.  Lost one BTR to the 2nd Jav team

Time for the last push,  I sent the rest of 2 tanks, 2 BTRs and all RPG gunner to the hill on the left. Then try to engage Bradley simultaneously. Unfortunately Bradley put his Rambo headband on. He put my 3 RPG team out of action first, then knocked out one T-72. The T-72 ammo cook off kills the BTR next to it.  Fortunately , the T-72 HQ took the revenge, kill Bradley. And then the time is running out.

1726219687_ADABradleySpeedbumpDraw.jpg.52e6288a42ab68b712bead02546c7dc9.jpg      

it is a pity , with a few more point I will have minor victory. 

Very interesting...  It didn't occur to me to use the road or approach from that side as I assumed that is where all the US firepower would be aimed at. 

That's why I sent everything to the left through the woods and also along the left map edge thinking that would be an "unexpected" outflank from the left.  But, perhaps the designer created an ambush for exactly that strategy.  

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.  Not sure I'd want to replay this scenario as am not sure what lessons are learned here other than "Russians shouldn't attack without artillery support".  And the friendly casualties seem excessively heavy - basically losing both recon formations "combat ineffective"just to overcome a "speedbump".  Who will recon onwards now?

Diagonal ditch running parallel to the diagonal orchard dirt road. It gets all of your force all the way to the rear - even BTRs may fit. I just had to be careful with the intersection when the ditch changes direction. And I guess the ditch was created as an intentional solution. But I spent quite a time making sure there's no ambush. Sometimes scenario designers create too obvious a way to avoid a frontal assault and put an ambush on the way to trap smartasses. I didn't need the tank. Bradley is impossible to see for BTRs but I used the trick when one's infantry detects the enemy armor and one orders his armor to area fire with lines of fire crossing the enemy vehicle. Since BTRs are shooting at Bradley's rear - it's deadly. Though the Bradly still did manage to kill one BTR before dying. Overall the scenario seemed too obvious for me. All other approaches are nearly suicidal in my opinion.

10 hours ago, IMHO said:

Overall the scenario seemed too obvious for me. All other approaches are nearly suicidal in my opinion.

Thank you. I feel duly embarrassed and humiliated. 

Clearly, I didn't examine the terrain very carefully as I never noticed these other approach possibilities mentioned in this thread.  Maybe I will give it another shot.  I enjoy these CMBS missions as they are so deadly and one has to be so careful that it makes one much better at playing CMSF2.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thank you. I feel duly embarrassed and humiliated. Clearly, I didn't examine the terrain very carefully as I never noticed these other approach possibilities mentioned in this thread

Don't be - it's just the game and different people like different gaming styles. My record was almost 2 hrs of examining the AO before I ever made a first turn. That was for Debaltseve devils.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

I enjoy these CMBS missions as they are so deadly and one has to be so careful that it makes one much better at playing CMSF2.

Out of AD series try the "AD Myrne Roadblock" - it's a marvel.

Willdo...

After my shocking CMBS experience I was ordered back to CMSF2 to get my confidence back.  Played "Consulate Evacuation".  That's a fun and not very hard MOUT-like mission.  Easy to get a Total Victory.  I'll make some notes in the CMSF2 topic threads.

Edited by Erwin

Yes, I always scout as well.  Possibly the issue was that the Briefing tells us that the orchard is clear of enemy so I assumed that would be the best approach.  If I am correctly reading the other feedback above, it seems that going thru the fields to the right of the orchard and the small road was the best approach.  I didn't examine the ground very carefully before starting as I thought it wold be a simple exercise and just assumed that using the orchard to the map edge area was the best plan.  :(

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Possibly the issue was that the Briefing tells us that the orchard is clear of enemy so I assumed that would be the best approach.

If a scenario designer writes "it's a cakewalk" I always read it as "we will kick your ass as hell" 🤣 Because if it's really that simple they do not write anything :)

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

If I am correctly reading the other feedback above, it seems that going thru the fields to the right of the orchard and the small road was the best approach

I guess if you JUST go through the field or say the long paved road to your right you'll be scorched. I didn't try but from the Bradly position I got on my one and only play of this scenario - it should have pretty good oversight of the field. So here comes the ditch that's deep enough to hide even BTRs.

But I personally would rather spend my time on AD Myrne Roadblock. Bradley is really straightforward and with Myrne one can try different approaches - there's no one simple solution to the task.

PS And I guess it's actually Mirniy rather than Myrne. Mirniy is "peaceful/tranquil" in Russian :)

Edited by IMHO

9 minutes ago, IMHO said:

If a scenario designer writes "it's a cakewalk" I always read it as "we will kick your ass as hell" 🤣 Because if it's really that simple they do not write anything

Whaaaat!?  You mean the designers try to fool us?  You learn something new about this game every day!