Flavor objects wont stay in the location placed?

1 hour ago, Garrett124 said:

Was able to get the walls invisible. Stone wall seems to work with it very well and after playing with the fortifications an hescos i came up with some nifty combos as well. I just wanna re thank all you guys for helping out so quickly. Hopefully i can turn some thing out soon. 

+1.  Nice!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Flavor objects basically work like this:

Each object has a center point on its X-Y-Z axis which snaps exactly on a node of an 8x8m action spot mesh.

There can only be one object snapping on every single node. If 2 are too close together, then either the second one gets deleted or depending upon range to a neighboring node, it automatically shifts to a free neighbor. Initial placement in 2D map editor is a bit rough which can be seen when entering 3D mode. Objects are not snapped yet, even when SHIFT-Clicking them around. Only when leaving 3D mode and then entering back, they got automatically aligned (or competing ones deleted) and fixed to the 8x8m grid nodes.

It´s just that flavor objects x-y-z center point that counts on a single 8x8m mesh node for any other purposes. In case of single infantrymen, they can´t move through or occupy that node exactly, no matter how big that flavor object is otherwise. Though infantry can align to it, looking like they take cover behind (objects snapped center point). Regarding "cover" from flavor objects I say NO until BFC tells something different.

For testing the 8x8m grid and object placement I used a self made gridded grass texture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxbbgrc122rqzhc/ground grass.rar?dl=0

Depending on what´s put in as a "new" flavor object it needs considered these cast shadows. I.e I´ve taken standard pine trees from CMBN and inserted them as flavor objects. Placing many of them puts a huge strain on the system due to the many complex cast shadows. Any foliage texture adds to that even more, but making these transparent (getting a leafless tree this way) decreases system strain considerably. Alternatively switch shadows all off (Alt-W) 

Number of flavor objects per type (junk, poles, drums etc) in editor seems not be limited to 9. I made 12 accessible by shrinking editor buttons (i.e "editor option button flavor 00.bmp" and following) to half size (from 36 pixels to 18). Added new buttons extending beyond 9 (00 to 08) by saving these with 09 to 11 in filename. So if there´s also 12 flavor objects available in a particular group ( i.e streetsign1 to streetsign11.mdr) these are then shown in editor and can be selected and placed on the map as usual. Could be one can extend selectable flavor objects in editor even more. But 12 is a good number already.

That´s all from my current experiences, but might be some of that ain´t valid from Aquila-CM´s latest Blender hacks anymore .

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Number of flavor objects per type (junk, poles, drums etc) in editor seems not be limited to 9. I made 12 accessible by shrinking editor buttons (i.e "editor option button flavor 00.bmp" and following) to half size (from 36 pixels to 18). Added new buttons extending beyond 9 (00 to 08) by saving these with 09 to 11 in filename. So if there´s also 12 flavor objects available in a particular group ( i.e streetsign1 to streetsign11.mdr) these are then shown in editor and can be selected and placed on the map as usual. Could be one can extend selectable flavor objects in editor even more. But 12 is a good number already.

GOOD JOB, man! Nice find! I would've never suspected that would work though I had thought about those empty spaces (flavor objects with less than 9) a few times. This last year has been like a renaissance for modding CM it seems. So many new discoveries that previously seemed impossible or too far fetched to even consider.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Figured it works with 16 objects as well. Editor button matrix adapts automatically (4x4 = 16). So it´s then just a matter of expanding a flavor object group from *1.mdr to *16.mdr (* is placeholder for particular filename) to access all of them. I.e "stump1.mdr" up to "stump16.mdr". Still could be there´s even more than 16 flavor objects selectable, but haven´t tested yet. Now expanding stump section with the one available mod (burned & shattered stumps) and bits of my own stuff.

Unpack flavor generic buttons file below to mod folder as usual. Have fun expanding. B)

FlavorGenericButtons.zip

4 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Figured it works with 16 objects as well. Editor button matrix adapts automatically (4x4 = 16). So it´s then just a matter of expanding a flavor object group from *1.mdr to *16.mdr (* is placeholder for particular filename) to access all of them. I.e "stump1.mdr" up to "stump16.mdr". Still could be there´s even more than 16 flavor objects selectable, but haven´t tested yet. Now expanding stump section with the one available mod (burned & shattered stumps) and bits of my own stuff.

Unpack flavor generic buttons file below to mod folder as usual. Have fun expanding. B)

FlavorGenericButtons.zip 33.21 kB · 0 downloads

Late to the party as always. This is great news. As soon as I finished working on my blender project with the vehicles in CMBS, I'll start working on some 3d models that I download to add to the flavor objects that I wont to work on. Again great news RockinHarry.

47 minutes ago, JohnO said:

Late to the party as always. This is great news. As soon as I finished working on my blender project with the vehicles in CMBS, I'll start working on some 3d models that I download to add to the flavor objects that I wont to work on. Again great news RockinHarry.

think I´ll try that Blender tools as well. Finally some practical application for my Blender, if I get them to work with my not so new V2.76. :unsure:

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Regarding "cover" from flavor objects I say NO until BFC tells something different.

and they did long ago. :D 

"Special note... Flavor Objects provide cover but not concealment. The degree of cover is, of course, dependent on what the object is. A soldier will get a lot more cover lying behind some tires instead of standing up behind a sign post :)

Steve"

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/82397-how-does-cover-and-concealment-work-again/?do=findComment&comment=1077632

but what is that based on? Flavor object size or hard coded and tied to a special flag buried in the MDR files? Or by type (file name "tyre" as compared to file name "pole" as given in Steve´s example)?