Flavor objects wont stay in the location placed?

Im trying to create a campaign. I downloaded the hesco barrier mod changes the shelter to a hesco barrier. But the problem i keep running into is that the hescos do not stay in the location i place them in in the 3d preview.  Im building an FOB.. well a corner of one. So im placing these next to each other as well. Any help would go miles. Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Garrett124 said:

the hescos do not stay in the location i place them in in the 3d preview.  

How far are they moving from the location you placed them.  Are we talking about a meter or some longer distance?  I've had problems in the past placing flavor objects to close together (as in almost touching).  I've seen one of the two almost touching flavor objects disappear from the map.  I assume you are attempting to make the Hesco barriers touch to form a solid wall.  I've not tried the Hesco barrier Flavor Object but I can see where having many of the barriers touching might cause problems.  

Now if some of the Hesco barriers are teleporting halfway across the map then that's something I've not seen.  

I've found if you Shift-click nudge flavor objects into position instead of Alt-click free moving them into position they tend to stay put a bit better.

Ah, there's one issue that I may be facing with a map right now, myself. If your flavor objects are too close to something that'll deform the terrain on 'Start' the flavor object may jump out of the way to avoid the deformation. My particular issue is with trenches but other things will deform the terrain as well, like roads on slopes, building foubndation, other stuff too.

They are reseting as if i had never moved them in most cases other times maybe a few meters.  I am putting them close some touching others not cus its damn near impossible to get them all to be solid.  Thanks for the quick responses guys. 

Edited by Garrett124

Also im not trying to get the entire FOB into the map. Its probably 15 tiles by 25 in the corner of the map. Atleast for this particular scenario.  After hearing that about the large number of touching objects im thinking i might have to rethink some of the future scenarios i planned though. 

You don´t need to rethink your scenario planning.

Do not replace the Hesco barrier for the shelter (or other wide flavor objects) as this will cause collision issues due to the shelter´s big size. Again custom models inherit the attributes of the replaced object.

For the Hesco and other touching objects its best to replace streetlamp traffic lights and telefonpoles.  These objects are slim and won´t cause collision issues. Name the Hescos for example trafficlight1.mdr and you will see that they can be placed tight and "touched". 

I know there are shelter files in the download. They are just for testing and shouldn´t be used. I removed them and uploaded a Hesco V2 to my Dropbox.   

Edited by Aquila-CM

15 minutes ago, Garrett124 said:

Thank you man! They all are working perfectly now. Now i just need to find a way to make them catch bullets lol. 

I might try to place tall walls on the map.  And then place the Hesco barrier (Flavor Object) over the Tall Wall.  The wall would be hidden inside the Hesco and would stop bullets (but not tank rounds).  It would look like a Hesco except when you zoomed in close inside the Hesco you would see the wall.  

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I might try to place tall walls on the map.  And then place the Hesco barrier (Flavor Object) over the Tall Wall.  The wall would be hidden inside the Hesco and would stop bullets (but not tank rounds).  It would look like a Hesco except when you zoomed in close inside the Hesco you would see the wall.  

I did try that,  the two sizes i used are too short for the tall wall short wall works great but still messing with the bigger ones. I read you can make a wall invisible id like to figure that out sounds like that would work. Also as im still just a little green on scenario creation how do you get defensive emplacements on map? Id like to trow some sand bags and trenches in with what im making. 

Edited by Garrett124

1 minute ago, Garrett124 said:

how do you get defensive emplacements on map? Id like to trow some sand bags and trenches in with what im making. 

In the editor under Units - bottom left - Fortifications.  Click on fortifications and a list will appear on the left side of the screen (under Available Troops). 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:13 AM, MikeyD said:

I've had problems in the past with flavor objects touching at all. When I start the scenario they tend to disappear on me. I just now came back from working on a map, moving the flavor objects out of harm's way, and making sure they don't touch.

It seems that it's possible to place them in spots that the game doesn't like by Alt+Clicking.....They'll go where you put them, but vanish once you leave preview.  I tend to Alt+Click 'em to the general vicinity, then Shift+Click 'em into final position.

29 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

In the editor under Units - bottom left - Fortifications.  Click on fortifications and a list will appear on the left side of the screen (under Available Troops). 

Oh thats it? I didnt think that actually placed the object on the map. The idea is to have some preplaced on the map on game start. Thank you. 

Edited by Garrett124

Use either walls, fortifications, or wrecks placed into the hesco barriers. Walls may naturally be the best choice. You can turn anything inivisible by using a blank.bmp file (attached). Rename it to the texture you want to make invisible.

Example: in order to make the brick wall invisible make two copies of the blank.bmp and rename them to "brick wall model top.bmp" and "brick wall model.bmp" . Put them into your z folder.

Obviously its hard to work with invisible walls in the editor. So either mark the ground tiles beneath the walls temporarily with a special tile so you can identify placement in the 3D Editor or simply work with visible walls and turn them invisible when you´re done with your wall+flavor object combinations.

Before release modtag the custom .mdr and .bmp files to make its use exclusive to your scenario.

blank.bmp

Edited by Aquila-CM

21 hours ago, Garrett124 said:

Oh thats it? I didnt think that actually placed the object on the map. The idea is to have some preplaced on the map on game start. Thank you. 

You need to go into Units, choose the fortifications you want for the appropriate sides.....Once you've done that click Deploy Blue or Deploy Red as appropriate, which takes you into Preview so you can place them how you want them.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

22 hours ago, Aquila-CM said:

Example: in order to make the brick wall invisible make two copies of the blank.bmp and rename them to "brick wall model top.bmp" and "brick wall model.bmp" . Put them into your z folder.

Thanks aquila. For some reason tho i cant seem to get this to work  im not sure if a mod i have is conflicting with that file still doing tests. Turns out like as mentioned earlier, cant put objects close together(referring to the walls and hescos) the wall short or tall has to jut out from the back just a little for the hesco to sit covering the majority of it so making it invisible would help. I wonder if one could replace a wall model with the hesco model that way its all done in one, that would be pretty nifty  

But alas some how i messed up my game moving files having to do a clean install now. Pulled the map file so hopefully i can reload what i do have done right now. 

22 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You need to go into Units, choose the fortifications you want for the appropriate sides.....Once you've done that click Deploy Blue or Deploy Red as appropriate, which takes you into Preview so you can place them how you want them.

Thanks sgt. i completely overlooked those options feeling pretty dumb now haha. 

I didn't mean messing with game files, I was playing with the blank bmp aquila attached in my docs trying to get the wall to be invisible. I didn't notice I messed something up until I took a break from that and began working on a different portion placing the unit fortifications down in that screen I noticed all the troops and fortification names were broken. its fixed now.  

A possible cause of it not working would be that you´re using another mod that is overwriting the invisible textures in hierarchy such as "Kieme´s CMSF HD Walls". To prevent this I always test/use new stuff in a "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzExperiments" folder inside the Z modfolder. The plenty "zzz" ensure that everything in this folder is loaded last.

I did check the "walls" folder and couldn´t locate mdr files of any walls at least in the CMSF2 files. However there are plenty of mdr files of bocage, hedge, and fences probably not in use by CMSF2 but other CM2 games. So your idea to replace a wall/obstacle model with something else is still very interesting but may have no utility for CMSF2.

Edited by Aquila-CM