M3A1 Halftracks not firing

While playing a quick battle today, veteran difficulty, I had my engineers mounted in halftracks. They were still mounted with their crews alive, but when ordered to fire the guns were silent. 

With a track commander still alive plus guys in the back, why wouldn’t they fire? Is there a command I have to give the crew or dismounts to get them shooting (besides fire commands)?

Thanks. Veteran difficulty was a change of pace with slower arty and a much different spotting experience. Those .50’s would have come in handy though 

27 minutes ago, Swervin11b said:

With a track commander still alive plus guys in the back, why wouldn’t they fire? Is there a command I have to give the crew or dismounts to get them shooting (besides fire commands)?  

Give the halftrack the Open Up order under Special Commands.  They should then shoot the HMG.  Be advised halftrack gunners draw a lot of return fire.  The more distance between the halftrack and its target the better.  My SOP is to generally unload passengers from a vehicle before using it for fire support.  Or return fire may get the vehicle and passengers.    

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Just now, MOS:96B2P said:

Give the halftrack the Open Up order under Special Commands.  They should then shoot the HMG.  Be advised halftrack gunners draw a lot of return fire.  The more distance between the halftrack and its target the better.  Mo SOP is to generally unload passengers from a vehicle before using it for fire support.  Or return fire may get the vehicle and passengers.    

Roger that. Thanks a bunch! Man that was frustrating. I got murdered in Courage Conquers owing to the lack of fire support too. 

I’ll definitely bear in mind their tendency to draw fire. Halftrack gunners have a hell of a tall profile. The .50 cal has good stand-off distance though, so I’m sure they can still offer some help. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Swervin11b said:

Just in case, remember to give the vehicle the target order, not the troops riding in it.

Other than that, ordering them to Open Up works.

As the poster above me said, I have used the target line to target other light armored cars with the half track .30cal. It is powerful enough to go through some axis armored cars and hts, if not it makes them retreat. Don't forget you can also use the target line for indirect fire while moving. I make a slow forward then back reverse to starting point using my half tracks, every time you press open up the gunner will fire at that spot, if not he will stay hidden. The halftrack can withstand rifle/ mg42/34 fire from the front as there is enough armor there, just don't turn and expose rear or sides.

htra.png

Edited by user1000