Clear target

It is still there, but it doesn’t work that way. Clear target removes any target or face orders, but if you want to prevent a unit from firing you will need to either give it a short target arc or some other command to tell it you do not want it to fire at a unit it perceives as a legitimate target. 

Hide doesn't entirely stop them from firing, it's more of a "get down!" than an "ambush" or "hold fire" - they'll still fire if enemies are close enough. In a lot of situations, Hide will break LOS.

The best way to "Hold fire" is to set a short covered arc, circular or otherwise. It's a really useful thing for scouts, HQ units, or anything you want to be watching more than fighting.

9 hours ago, domfluff said:

The best way to "Hold fire" is to set a short covered arc, circular or otherwise. It's a really useful thing for scouts, HQ units, or anything you want to be watching more than fighting.

Especially FOs. It's really heartbreaking to sneak an FO into an ideal spotting location like a church steeple, only to have them give their position away by blazing away ineffectively with their personal weapons. And recently I've seen them do that even if I've given them the circular arc treatment. Observing them closely on replay, what I noticed is that when the last member of the team arrives at the designated level, the arc disappears. Only seen this since v4.

Michael

21 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Observing them closely on replay, what I noticed is that when the last member of the team arrives at the designated level, the arc disappears. Only seen this since v4.

If you give the team a face command at the end of the movement orders then that will cancel the cover arc. That's how it works way back to v1. Now if you are not adding a face command then that would be a bug. If you need them to face a certain direction then give them an arc in the direction you want them to face an then after they are settled switch back to a circular cover arc and all will be well.

If you have an instance where the orders did not include a face command (or a target command) and the cover arch was dropped then save it and share and someone will get it logged and fixed. I do this frequently when playing and have not seen a problem. I will watch carefully over the next few days just to be sure.

Remember, the lower the experience level of the unit, the LESS likely it will obey the Target Arc.

Your vet sees a juicy target...surrounded by autocannon...he holds his fire.

Your green troop? Yeah, he's ready to get some. Bang! Oops.

Incoming fire will also cause the target arc order to be ignored in some cases. (Seems to be an experience/incoming/suppression kind of mix.)

So, don't make obeying a Target Arc order the linchpin of your plan's success.

@Michael Emrys is right.....Something weird goes on when units change level in a building. 

I've had this happen several times when units with Hide and or short Target Arcs have transitioned between levels.....It usually happens just as the unit changes from the prone Hide stance to the Hunt like movement between the floors (I've posted about it elsewhere, IIRC in the splendid map of Worcester that someone made, the phenomenon caused me some major grief in the 'Battle of Henwick Road').

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

14 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Especially FOs. It's really heartbreaking to sneak an FO into an ideal spotting location like a church steeple, only to have them give their position away by blazing away ineffectively with their personal weapons. And recently I've seen them do that even if I've given them the circular arc treatment. Observing them closely on replay, what I noticed is that when the last member of the team arrives at the designated level, the arc disappears. Only seen this since v4.

Michael

Savegame?

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Michael Emrys is right.....Something weird goes on when units change level in a building. 

I've had this happen several times when units with Hide and or short Target Arcs have transitioned between levels.....It usually happens just as the unit changes from the prone Hide stance to the Hunt like movement between the floors (I've posted about it elsewhere, IIRC in the splendid map of Worcester that someone made, the phenomenon caused me some major grief in the 'Battle of Henwick Road').

Savegame?

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I thought I might have sent one when I played the battle I described, but I don't honestly recall.....However I am now actively looking for this behaviour and I play a lot of urban combat, so when I see it again I will definitely send one.

Thanks.

I've never seen it or heard of it, but we have a couple of gents right here talking about it. If it exists, we must find it and we must kill it.  ;)

Here's my previous comment:

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The college will not appreciate you driving across their farm!  Interesting to note that is exactly the same route I took (although I used different units).  ;)

Sadly I suffered an AI induced fail and have to restart, basically my hidden teams did their usual trick of opening fire as they transitioned between floors in a building and to make matters worse what they opened up on was a light-armoured vehicle!  That's happened to me a few times in CM:BS now and a couple of times in CM:A too, but I don't recall it ever happening in CM:SF (which is where I do most of my MOUT stuff).

Looks like the whole conversation stopped about there.