What kind of specs should a PC have to run CMx2 well?

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

And down to earth again. Thanks Hister! 😀

Well I don't know what system @Hister upgraded from, I got a hell of an improvement from my previous one. That was a I7 920, N760 hawk, 6GB, sata HD. I think the Athlon X4 is quite old?

5 hours ago, Mord said:

According to a video I watched (and subsequent comments) having Win 10 on the SSD and my games on the hybrid drive was the correct setup. But I also learned something very interesting about my Firecudas. Apparently the Firecuda "remembers" programs you use (for that PC session) and will open them faster the second time around. Which explains why CM takes longer on the first boot and is way quicker on the second. The amazing part is we are talking about 90% faster. I think the last time I tested it I got to the BF intro vid in about 3 seconds. Not bad considering I bought the two Firecudas (4TB total) for $99.99 a piece.

Mord.

I have windows on the SSD but I symlinked my /userdata folder to the SATA drive. Most games also on SATA, a few on the SSD. There is a big difference with games on my SSD compared to those on my SATA disk. A very big difference, CM loads up in 1 second orso. Total war games load in a couple of seconds.

Edited by Lethaface

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Well I don't know what system @Hister upgraded from, I got a hell of an improvement from my previous one. That was a I7 920, N760 hawk, 6GB, sata HD. I think the Athlon X4 is quite old?

I have windows on the SSD but I symlinked my /userdata folder to the SATA drive. Most games also on SATA, a few on the SSD. There is a big difference with games on my SSD compared to those on my SATA disk. A very big difference, CM loads up in 1 second orso. Total war games load in a couple of seconds.

I had 6300 FX and 550 Ti... 

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

And you didn't get a lot of performance, even outside CM?

Outside CM I have the very demanding games totally rocking (every graphical seting maxed out in them except the Kingdome Come Deliverance game) - just the CM games were left behind mostly were they were at performance vice.

23 hours ago, Mord said:

The  i7 7700K runs at higher clock speeds out of the box than the 7800 series, 4 core 4.2 ghz vs 6 core 3.7 Ghz. But more cores isn't a good thing for CM from what members have said. I believe CM utilizes one core so that would be 4.2 divided by 4 cores for the i7 7700k vs 3.7 divided by 6 cores for the 7800K.

What other people have been saying is that CM doesn't benefit from additional cores.  That is absolutely true.  It just needs as fast a CPU frequency as you can throw at it.  There is no downside to a 6 or 8 core for CM, so long as it is fast.

For that reason, my recent upgrade was to a 6 core 8600k which is overclocked to 5Ghz.  It is a decent improvement to my previous 4 core 2500k @ 4.7Ghz.  Performance on Best settings is generally acceptable, but undoubtedly the least performant game I own.  I leave shadows off.  

Edited by Jock Tamson

Here are specs of what will be my "last" gaming system, built just over a year ago. I was looking for an air-cooled solution that would play my Battlefront games at native 1080p with all graphic details turned on and DirectX 11 games on Windows with minimal lag. This machine succeeds on both counts, and the air-cooling works much better than I expected. The Corsair case is the way to go for air-cooling, looks pretty cool as well.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 (PC4 25600)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX
Intel Core i7-7700K
Noctua D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 PWM
ASUS Maximus IX Apex Motherboard (the fan controls on this MB are really good)
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA III Internal SSD
WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop HDD - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
Noctua SSO2 Bearing Fan Retail Cooling NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
Noctua 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Fan (NF-A14 PWM)

The Noctua NF-A14 PPC fans are industrial fans (3000rpm) that can get loud when the system is under load, but can be throttled with the MB fan controls so they're barely audible when the system is playing music, running videos, etc. I use those for intake, the other Noctua fans are very quiet, use them for exhausts and CPU cooler. The Core i7-7700 runs natively at 4.2Ghz, no need to overclock, so it runs relatively cool, even when gaming.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:31 PM, Hister said:

Outside CM I have the very demanding games totally rocking (every graphical seting maxed out in them except the Kingdome Come Deliverance game) - just the CM games were left behind mostly were they were at performance vice.

Ah ok, understood. I thought the upgrade didn't give you a significant performance boost across the board. Happy to hear that's not the case. I didn't have my expectations to high for improvements in CM, but playing larger battles has definitely improved. 

7 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Ah ok, understood. I thought the upgrade didn't give you a significant performance boost across the board. Happy to hear that's not the case. I didn't have my expectations to high for improvements in CM, but playing larger battles has definitely improved. 

Dunno. First mission of the CMRT Russian campaign is crowling to a halt FPS wise when I order all the units to move at the same time so big scenarios are still a no go to me. 

1 hour ago, Hister said:

Dunno. First mission of the CMRT Russian campaign is crowling to a halt FPS wise when I order all the units to move at the same time so big scenarios are still a no go to me. 

I didn't fire CMRT up on this machine afaik. So I started the campaign 'Road to Minsk' (only later realizing the original campaign is Hammers Flank. Both run 'fine' for me, I made a video of the 2nd minute in the first mission of Road to Minsk. The first minute I made a movie too but I forgot do check that shadows/shaders are enabled. 

Anyway since I played and finished (which was quite a feat imo) the Hammers Flank campaign, I realised it isn't the same one. I did also fire up Hammers flank, it ran similar as in I couldn't detect any difference in running. Although in that mission there is some texture shading flickering, I think due to the rain and overcast. It's mainly visible on the gun shield. I made a video of that too, but am going to eat something now and after try to play the game.
This was with stock Nvidia settings AFAIK as in no custom profile yet.

Is the performance on your machine worse? The only thing bothering me is the duration of the bluebar (first few minutes are worst) and the tree draw distance. 

Video quality is a bit shoddy here and there, don't know why. Recorded and uploaded in 1440p.

Edited by Lethaface

@Hister While eating I was reading the forum and saw your Nvidia settings again. I changed my settings mainly due to the fact the game crashed and that someone got the same problem fixed by tweaking the settings. Never hurts to try right? I copied his settings and made some further changes and that seemed to work.

If anything I think the 'fix' was disabling MFAA, enabling triple buffering or setting maximum prerendered frames to 4.

Now I  was going over my profile again and compared it with yours. There is one thing I'd try to disable if I were you: 'MFAA'. I see you have it turned on globally, whereis in my global profile it's off.

I'm still contemplating what looks better and since the crashes seem to have disappeared for me, whether I should go back to stock Nvidia settings.

Edited by Lethaface

I dunno where to find Road to Minsk campaign. The stock Russian side campaign 1st mission is below 20 frames if I set everything to best and use shadows and shaders. Let me know how your rig performs there. You can enable FPC counter in Geforce experience settings. 

I disabled MFAA, enabled triple buffering and set maximum prerendered frames to 4. No change. I also changes Vsync to fast just for fun and I saw no change either.

The Geforce FPS counter doesn't work and the ingame overlay menu bugs out if I use it in CM, but my monitor has a button for FPS. The FPS is indeed below 20 especially if many troops bunch up in fording the river, but the game responds fluently and there is no stuttering whatsoever. There is a reason I bought a 165hz monitor and yes I do appreciate high fps. CM doesn't have it, but plays fluently in my view. There is no audio stuttering during action, the game responds to input fast and the action plays 'smooth'. Of course this is all relative, it might look like a slideshow to you.

Anyway the first mission of the stock russian campaign plays similar to the above video:

3 hours ago, Lethaface said:

@Hister While eating I was reading the forum and saw your Nvidia settings again. I changed my settings mainly due to the fact the game crashed and that someone got the same problem fixed by tweaking the settings. Never hurts to try right? I copied his settings and made some further changes and that seemed to work.

If anything I think the 'fix' was disabling MFAA, enabling triple buffering or setting maximum prerendered frames to 4.

Now I  was going over my profile again and compared it with yours. There is one thing I'd try to disable if I were you: 'MFAA'. I see you have it turned on globally, whereis in my global profile it's off.

I'm still contemplating what looks better and since the crashes seem to have disappeared for me, whether I should go back to stock Nvidia settings.

Disabling MFAA won't do anything, the game has to support MFAA to enable it.  CM doesn't.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, Lethaface said:

The Geforce FPS counter doesn't work and the ingame overlay menu bugs out if I use it in CM, but my monitor has a button for FPS. The FPS is indeed below 20 especially if many troops bunch up in fording the river, but the game responds fluently and there is no stuttering whatsoever. There is a reason I bought a 165hz monitor and yes I do appreciate high fps. CM doesn't have it, but plays fluently in my view. There is no audio stuttering during action, the game responds to input fast and the action plays 'smooth'. Of course this is all relative, it might look like a slideshow to you.

Anyway the first mission of the stock russian campaign plays similar to the above video:

Try to make a similar video please, where you use the mouse to turn the camera, holding down right mouse button.

That's what makes the low performance really apparent here, but I find it's also by far the best way to adjust the camera.