The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

Changing gears and locales drastically, this is a tremendous war bird location and recovery story, of which I knew nothing. The level of preservation in situ, considering the location is one of the most hostile on the planet environmentally speaking, is mind-boggling. B-17E, anyone?

http://healthskillet.com/restaurant-tycoon-discovers-history-in-the-jungle/

Regards,

John Kettler

Would you believe a car with the horsepower of an Abrams tank? Of course, it's a bit faster with a max speed of 261 mph using a special key! This automotive engineering marvel is the Bugatti Chiron. 

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/technology/g3125/bugatti-chiron-test-drive/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

SLIM,

Completely understand what you're saying. I remember when I was in high school geting to go to Furman University where I first got into a full-blown academic library. Got high on the book aroma and practically levitated in bliss. While I think the pic is some sort of digital fantasy, I was so swept up in it I vaguely noted the chair and missed the female (?) in it altogether. Can't recall the movie, but I saw one in which the library was in one corner, with a polished brass curved guide rail for the ladder to get around it. Oo! Ah! Drool. I find books to be more fun and useful when you retain their contents, an area in which you might say needs further work. Speaking of books, be sure to check out that killer offer in another thread. My library is much richer as a result.

Regards,

John Kettler

Coins in the intake? It's a wonder she didn't wreck the engine--or worse. When I was little boy, the father of our babysitter was an Air Force flight mechanic or similar. Because my brothers and I were big time aviation buffs, he'd send over stacks of flight safety magazines. these were always full of horror stories involving screws, screwdrivers, flashlights, etc., which weren't accounted for properly when the work was done but were found quickly indeed when the engine was powered up! Nothing tops this, and the participant is fine.

Story particulars are here, together with a brief account of something similar involving an airliner. Didn't end well.

http://www.cubebreaker.com/navy-man-sucked-into-jet-engine-and-survives-watch-now/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

23 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

these were always full of horror stories involving screws, screwdrivers, flashlights, etc., which weren't accounted for properly when the work was done but were found quickly indeed when the engine was powered up!

During the 1950s I had a cousin who was a civilian employee at Brookley Field AFB, the second largest base of the Air Materiel Command with a primary responsibility of maintenance and repair of all aircraft made by Republic Aircraft. As soon as the Air Force would accept  plane from the factory they would fly it to Mobile where it would get torn down and inspected and any necessary adjustments or repairs done to make it safely operational. What my cousin told me was that they found all sorts of odds and ends, scrap, nuts and bolts, and even tools inside wings, fuel tanks, wherever there was an enclosed space. Kinda makes you wonder...

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Great story, but I find the Air Force practice described to be terrifying. If all the cleaning out,  additional inspections and whatnot are needed to make the planes safely operable, then why were these planes being flown to Mobile? Strikes me as begging for trouble. Speaking of tools left behind and such, did you know there have been many cases in which medical implements and surgical sponges have been forgotten, now stitched close after surgery. These days, the drill is to do a rigorous counts on what was used and to make sure   nothing gets left behind. Sounds good, right? Would be lot more confident, but after the story of what happened to the buddy of a friend of mine, am not so sure. The guy was scheduled for some reason to have, say, the left leg amputated. It was duly marked, taped, etc. to make sure the correct limb was removed. You guessed it! They got their surgery list confused with another patient, believed their chart over their own markings on the man before in plain sight before them, and lopped off his good leg! Unsurprisngly, a whopping lawsuit has been filed.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

14 hours ago, John Kettler said:

If all the cleaning out,  additional inspections and whatnot are needed to make the planes safely operable, then why were these planes being flown to Mobile?

Yeah, I had to wonder about that too. I just pass the story along as it was told to me too. I guess the planes could be flown, just not violently maneuvered.

14 hours ago, John Kettler said:

The guy was scheduled for some reason to have, say, the left leg amputated. It was duly marked, taped, etc. to make sure the correct limb was removed. You guessed it! They got their surgery list confused with another patient, believed their chart over their own markings on the man before in plain sight before them, and lopped off his good leg!

I've heard this story before, the first time a few decades ago. So I have to wonder if in this case it isn't an urban legend. Not that I doubt that surgeons are capable of making such mistakes, but that the details keep turning up in an identical or near-identical recitation.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Pretty sure it wasn't an urban legend in the instance I cited. The delivery was deadly serious for one, and had it been a joke, he would've made a point of letting me know. 

Guys,

Today's winner has to be seen to be believed! Isn't fashion grand? The guy whose Tumblr this appeared on was, unsurprisingly, utterly scathing in his remarks.

tumblr_inline_orgoyvDouS1ucs7zv_540.jpg

Bobby Abley Spring/Summer 2018 collection. Image Credit: Unknown

Regards,

John Kettler

Not sure if this has been posted, it didn't show up on a search:

There are currently over 17 million shipping containers in the world, and five or six million of them are currently shipping around the world on vessels, trucks, and trains. In total, they make around 200 million trips a year.  It's estimated that there are 10,000 shipping containers lost at sea every year.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, John Kettler said:

The guy whose Tumblr this appeared on was, unsurprisingly, utterly scathing in his remarks.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, I implore you to travel Tumblr with great caution, for in it lies the window to pure madness.

WARNING: Potential insanity, also possibly NSFW.
May cause blindness, deafness, tinnitus, rage, confusion, and a desire to strangle oneself.

How deep down this rabbit hole shall we go, hmm?
Just say the word and I will furnish such psychopathy as to make you lie awake at night in horror.

Edited by SLIM

Andy,

That Club video left me mouth agape--for a variety of reasons. Ingenious CONOPS. What an intelligence nightmare! Suvorov/Rezun talked about something similar but tamer for Russian plans to deal with the BMEWS at Fylingdales Moor in the UK before the Russians attacked. The secret weapon consisted of an innocent-looking fishing trawler with BM-21 type rocket launchers under tarps!  Back then, the radar system was gigantic. This image is of the Clear, Alaska system, but it shows what a lovely MRL target it makes.

20140319183610!Ballistic_Missile_Early_W

Image Credit: USAF (Public Domain) via Wikipedia Commons

Returning to the Club video, the positioning of the AD system supposedly protecting the static targets was stupid. Thought initially the OPFOR was made of BTRs, so Strykers were quite the surprise. 

The extreme low pass made the Argentine Pampa pilot made  British Jaguar pilots in Desert Storm seem like paragons of aviation sanity by comparison. And they were flying at 50 feet and sometimes 25 feet to stay under the radar, yet still took the worst aviation losses of Desert Storm.

SLIM, 

First learned about plushies/furries on CSI: Las Vegas, which showed all sorts of  weird stuff, such as adult infant play. Also, I knew a guy who was really into imagery and gaming of anthropomorphized sexy animals, but otherkin is in another realm altogether. Otherkin video stalled (repeatedly) about 70% in, but that was mind-shattering enough. Would say watching it set my recovery back a year at least, but that presumes there's still a head atop my neck! If this is modern society, I believe I need to become a stylite or go live on a mountain top. I knew a guy who was big, strong and lupine looking as all get out, even wore wolf T-shirts at times, but I believe he would've thought they were nuts if he'd read and heard some of this otherkin stuff while still alive. Believe I need a calming dose of Great Old Ones!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:18 AM, John Kettler said:

Otherkin video stalled (repeatedly) about 70% in, but that was mind-shattering enough. Would say watching it set my recovery back a year at least, but that presumes there's still a head atop my neck! If this is modern society, I believe I need to become a stylite or go live on a mountain top.

Don't say I didn't warn you... I just wanted to furnish some perspective.
I find booze to be a wonderful calmative in such times.