Why do my guys fire panzerfaust at infantry in the open?

2 hours ago, c3k said:

Firing at a flying tank crew? Yeah, seems excessive, but I've never seen it, so maybe it's a rare event.

Thinking about it, they were retreating from a build up area after a fairly intense fire fight so maybe panic levels influence it which would make sense. Agreed it does seem a  rare event.

Just had a whole squad firing at a guy with a schreck and he killed 3 of my guys with his pistol! Perhaps I prefer them to fire AT stuff at my side. :)

I've had troopers (in good morale and suppression state) use Fausts as a first resort in room-to-room combat. Routed both assaulters and defenders... I wonder whether Faust guys don't get given any grenades and so fall back on their "only HE" when they might be expected to throw a potato masher.

34 minutes ago, womble said:

I wonder whether Faust guys don't get given any grenades and so fall back on their "only HE" when they might be expected to throw a potato masher.

That is possible. Or it could be that the game sees Panzerfausts and grenades as equally valid sources of HE for close combat. However, I think the point still stands about why they would choose HE when the enemy is not in any kind of cover or concealment.

17 hours ago, user1000 said:

Maybe the panzerfaust guy was looking for splash damage. what if the soldier ai with the faust thought that he could take out the group of soldiers, if they were close together?

Could be, but I think that would be a gamey kind of logic.

In the context of the game, it makes sense, because (in the game) PF's are nearly instantaneous to use, and rifles often miss or cause no damage, even at extreme close ranges.

In real life, rifles are extremely accurate and deadly at 15 metre range, and it takes some time to get your PF from your back, flip up the aiming device, aim, and fire.

Also, if he was looking for splash damage, a hand grenade would have done the trick. Though I still think putting away your rifle to find, prime, and throw a grenade would also be a bit odd when you are in cover and the enemy is in the open.