Normandy and Italy Updates?

Aye, Tank Riders need a lot of additional work that's not usually covered by patch-level upgrades. Theoretically, the "common code base" should make porting the work across pretty simple, but there's a limit, apparently, to the commonality, and there would be a lorra lorra testin' needed to make sure nothing else got borked in the process.

I understand the work issue. With an update that would bring CMBN up to CMFB I would happily pay for.  I am not asking for free goodies although the Battle Pack was wonderful. I would just like to see it done. :)  Combat Mission is my escape and I always am looking for more and more and more. 

As Ian & Womble have mentioned, I'm guessing something like 'Tank Rider's would be more of an Engine Upgrade (From Game Engine 3 to Game Engine 4...or somefink like that), then a Patch.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

10 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

As Ian & Womble have mentioned, I'm guessing something like 'Tank Rider's would be more of an Engine Upgrade (From Game Engine 3 to Game Engine 4...or somefink like that), then a Patch.

The engine upgrade would probably just be a copy/paste job of the Red Thunder code, but then each and every tank model would have to be manually customised to include the spots where infantry would attach, and that process would take some time to do and test.

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

The engine upgrade would probably just be a copy/paste job of the Red Thunder code, but then each and every tank model would have to be manually customised to include the spots where infantry would attach, and that process would take some time to do and test.

Many of the models (and animations) would be "cut and pasteable" (at least as much as the codebase is) from RT and FB, too. But it's not so much the remaining model work as the integrating it with the existing "subtly divergent" codebases. If that were not the case, updates to previous families to include modifications to the engine made for FB (which remain applicable to the older families) would hardly be delayed at all. It's the checking that it does what it's meant to that's a big issue.

1 hour ago, Bloody Bill said:

So would it be an update that people would want?  Are the developers interested in doing something like this?

I'm personally not that interested in having tank riders, as I would usually dismount them at the start of the battle anyway. In Normandy at least. But the rest of the fixes and changes they did in the newest CMFB patch are very interesting, and I hope they quickly make their way to CMBN.

I think pretty much everything that's relevant except tank riders is fodder for a "bringing the family up to current" patch for BN, FI and RT v3 engine installs. Patch as in "cost free", I think. It's almost a requirement to make all the code bases as close as possible for when v4 arrives. It'd be a nightmare of version control, and the differences would have to be addressed at that time anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kch001 said:

Has it been confirmed that the other CM games will be patched up to same standard as CMFB? I cant seem to find any definite info on this.

No specific announcement as yet, but since that is BFC policy I'd rate it as a reasonable expectation. And BTW, it will be an upgrade, not a patch, meaning that it won't be free.

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Emrys said:

No specific announcement as yet, but since that is BFC policy I'd rate it as a reasonable expectation. And BTW, it will be an upgrade, not a patch, meaning that it won't be free.

Michael

I am perfectly happy to pay for the upgrade if it means that the series remains alive. 

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Michael

Ah, CMBF is using engine version 3 just like the others.  So, I think the next update for other titles would be a patch - at least until the next engine version comes along.

Well, version numbers in CM can be pretty confusing. I'm glad to hear that BFC is working on a system to rationalize them; it sure needs that. Anyway, when I checked RT before posting, it said v1.03, but just exactly what that means in terms of the present discussion I don't know and won't try to guess.

:unsure:

Michael

LOL yes it can be confusing but the new standard is to list the game version 1.03 in this case and put the engine version underneath which for CMRT is engine version 3.  That certainly helps.  The only game that does not list the version like that is CMFI on the PC but I am sure that will change once they get around to the next update to CMFI.