Help me pick a new GPS for this awesome game

Hi guys

I'm really enjoying the demo for this. Currently I have a i7 870, 8gb RAM and a R9 280x. 

In an effort to increase FPS, I'm planning on switching from AMD to an Nvidia. 

The R9 280x 3gb is a great card, but with the whole AMD Opengl mess I believe it's time to switch. 

What is a good Nvidia equivalent to my current card? Is there any card you guys use that gives you good results? What I want to avoid is losing fps in other games, so really looking for a card which is the Nvidia equivalent of what I have now. 

Thanks in advance guys!

So, I would not abandon your plans totally. It is true my upgrade of video card way back was a really good thing because I went from crappy to decent and it made a huge difference for me.  Switching form one brand to another of similar power will likely not be as dramatic.  I could still be worth it.  It all depends on what you are not happy about now and what your expectations are.

Check out this for a discussion about settings for Nvidia cards:

If you can skip over some of the rudeness from a few posters there are several enlightening discussions here (including some thoughts from Steve):

I have an i7-920 overclocked to 4 Ghz and I upgraded from a 660Ti to a GTX 970 in late 2014 and haven't regretted it. I admit I didn't get any performance increase in the CMx2 games, but for other games like Shogun 2: Total War or Arma 2 that use the graphics card intensively, the frame rate increase was excellent.

Try to overclock that i7-870 as much as you can. My i7-920 is over 6.5 years old, but it plays almost all modern games pretty well because of its good overclock. I can't see myself upgrading the processor for another year or even two.

Edited by WallysWorld

280x is fine. I have far worse issues with the other games in the series than with this one. I'm running an I5 3570k slightly overclocked but nothing silly. Turn off Vsync and you could expect 20-40fps imo. I used to get irritated with this, and sometimes still do, but the game is very playable still. Sometimes I turn off shadows/shaders and you can get a solid 40 fps.

A lot depends on your screen resolution. If you're ~1080p, then a GTX970 is pretty good. However, as noted, a lot of graphical goodness is about to come on the market in the next half year. The new architectures mean old stuff should be cheaper, or you can get more powerful cards for what you'd pay today. Also, look at the DX12 reviews coming along. (You need Win10 for DX12. CM does NOT utilize any DX api's, so this would not pertain to any combat mission game.) AMD seems to have an advantage over Nvidia in the 2 "true" DX12 games released. I say "true" and "seems". There's a LOT of room for interpretation and spin. This is all pretty new stuff. However, if it's true, then you may want to think about what other games you play and whether nvidia or amd suit your needs better than the other. But, for just CM, I'd pick nvidia. For now. :)